125 gallon lake malawi build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks... its still a working progress i dont have landscaping yards and alot of rocks just laying around so i had to buy mine online..

Yea it does i had them in a 55g at first and with more white thn black and the fish i posted looked soo drab we named him domino cause he wa black n white with colored fins .. put him in my 125g he now looks blue with bright red fins not that the picture shows well he doesnt stay still to long so its a lucky snap ..

Update got my wood prepped collected more got the sand level i was looking for will be getting lace rock this week end
Whatcha all think so far
ForumRunner_20130813_221323.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221332.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221342.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221352.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221404.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221417.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221428.jpg

ForumRunner_20130813_221439.jpg

Looks good... i luv the driftwood...once you have added the lace rock itll look more complete and fish of course...lol

Thank you I'm going to play with it some more tonight after work to get a couple different ideas on how it will end up

OK I'm settled with how it looks moved wood around and rocks now with the open space I'm going for 1-3 lace rocks of a decent size

ForumRunner_20130814_190952.jpg

ForumRunner_20130814_191002.jpg

ForumRunner_20130814_191014.jpg

ForumRunner_20130814_191025.jpg

ForumRunner_20130814_191035.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130814_191050.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_191050.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 86
that's coming along nicely.... that was a wicked killer score on the DW also...

where in the PNW are you at? I'm from Poulsbo, WA myself

I'm going with some smaller haps and peacocks
Placidochromis electra
-Copadichromis borleyi "Mbenji"
-Otopharynx tetrastigma
-Lethrinops sp. "Red Cap" (Itungi)

I'm not doing all 4 species I'm going with either 1-3 out of this list with 2-3 apiece then picking some nice peacocks don't know which yet to give a good mix of color and shape

Looking good man! Ive just built a 125 Peacock Hap tank. I built a dual overflow and sump totally DIY. I suggest you look at AH lighting supply. You seem pretty handy. I found that I can light my tank with 2 96 watt strips for 200$. The bulbs also come in a combo of white and actinic blue. I found that a good DIY LED setup was more expensive. AH is a really good company. They really helped me a ton. Good luck!
Justin

Looking good man! Ive just built a 125 Peacock Hap tank. I built a dual overflow and sump totally DIY. I suggest you look at AH lighting supply. You seem pretty handy. I found that I can light my tank with 2 96 watt strips for 200$. The bulbs also come in a combo of white and actinic blue. I found that a good DIY LED setup was more expensive. AH is a really good company. They really helped me a ton. Good luck!
Justin

Thank you I'll have to take a look at the company was your total cost for parts 200$

Yes, Actually less like 184 and change. The only thing you will need to do is build or retrofit a shell of an old light strip.

I have a video of my tank without the lights. I havent built them yet Ill send you a link to the video...I dont want to post it here because i used some bad words on it lol! Ill send you a pm

Home depot...But it is really not enough wattage. I just set it up so I could have something while I build my fixtures

Home depot...But it is really not enough wattage. I just set it up so I could have something while I build my fixtures

Funny I went to both home depot and Lowes neither carried 6' lights how much was the strips cause I was able to find on eBay similar lights with timer and power supply for less than 50$ and I can easily build a wooden frame for it

OK cool thanks for the link I'm thinking either the 1st or 2nd one I'm not growing plants so I just need a good light to show off colors I might do one of the others for my 55 for more light though I'm growing plants on that one

You can wire the 96 for half wattage. Let me know what you figure out. If i can help in any way let me know! Also I like Live fish direct. They have been great to deal with and ive never had a single problem with them shipping fish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom