125 gallon tank startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nate.j1187

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought a 125 gallon and started it up. I bought 4 red tail sharks and two large angel fish to go in my tank. I check the ph and it is at 7.2. I also checked my temperature and it is at 78 degrees. I have two filters rotating water through the tank at all times. This morning one of my angel fish died but the other one is fine. What could be the cause of this and what can i do to prevent the other fish from dying out.

Welcome & congrats on your new tank! Did you cycle it before adding fish? Do you have an API freshwater test kit or another liquid test kit to check your levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How do these numbers look? How did you acclimate your new fish? Some more information will help us to help you better!

nate.j1187 said:
I recently bought a 125 gallon and started it up. I bought 4 red tail sharks and two large angel fish to go in my tank. I check the ph and it is at 7.2. I also checked my temperature and it is at 78 degrees. I have two filters rotating water through the tank at all times. This morning one of my angel fish died but the other one is fine. What could be the cause of this and what can i do to prevent the other fish from dying out.

Hi and welcome!
It's sound like your tank isn't cycled. Google 'the nitrogen cycle' it will explain. I will also add some links to help you through the cycling process. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Test kits are essential. Red tail black sharks are very territorial with their own kind (and others similar like the rainbow shark) and only one should be kept in each tank. Since your tank is so large you might be able to get away with 2 (maybe) but the others will need to be returned.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

I let the tank water run for three days before i put all of the fish in. I made sure all of the water temp and ph were right before i put them in. The guy at the fish store told me that since the tank was so big i would be fine with 4 sharks. If i do need to take them back what else could i put in the tank with the two remaining sharks that will share the same atmosphere without dying.

Running a tank for three days is not cycling. Please read the links :) there a lot if different fish that can go with your shark/s but I would recommend adding any more fish until your tank is completely cycled. This can take 4-8 weeks (sometimes more).

Back
Top Bottom