125g Tank with lots of filters, any tips or advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a aquarium setup for $300. They guy gave me a 125g glass aquarium, a Rena Filstar xp4 canister a marineland penguin 350, and 2 Marineland penguin 660 powerheads.

When I was last into tanks I had a Hexagon tank(aka coffin tank). Abd a 50 gallon with 2 Marineland HOB filters on it. So now I am looking for some help or pointers on setting it up. Right now I have the canister sucking from the right side and blowing out the left, and the Penguin 350 on the left side. When the guy and I was taking this tank down from his place. His tank was as clear as a empty brand new Acrylic tank. before he started handing me things and taking the lights off. I caught a glimpse of a powerhead set up.

What would be a good or ideal way to set the tank up for African Cichlids like Kribensis, Bumblebee, Electric Yellow, and Angle fish. The guy told me his Pecock Cichlids liked the current. Up down, left right, diagonal, I dont know.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/Thewalmsleyshome/MOBILE UPLOAD/IMAG0452.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/Thewalmsleyshome/MOBILE UPLOAD/IMAG0470.jpg

MOBILE UPLOAD :: VIDEO0012.mp4 video by Thewalmsleyshome - Photobucket

I could really use some help or ideas. I know how the filters were hooked up. But should I have one power head on each side of the tank pointing at each other? or have them both on one side one higher then the other pointing in the same direction? I just want whats best for the fish or/and aquarium. Thank you.

Wow.. What a nice come up for $300.. I'd love to see some pics when you get it setup. I don't have experience with a tank that large, but my guess would be to place one power head on each side to create a nice circular current to help reduce any dead spots in the tank.

I'd also consider some Frontosa cichlids in a tank that large.

Edit: on the pics you got on here (from the previous owner I assume), I'd ditch that background and get a more modern looking solid black or dark blue one.

The list of parts is from the previous owner. But the picture and video is how I have it set up right now. So you are saying to make a wirlpool effect? Like putting one on the the back right side facing length wise, pushing the water along the back end, and one on the front left side, pushing water along the front of the tank?

I guess that's what I'd do.. Makes more sense to me. But I'm unfortunately inexperienced in a tank that large. Largest I've owned was a 65g. But I think a whirlpool effect seems logical in that it would create good circulation.

Kribensis said:
Just got a aquarium setup for $300. They guy gave me a 125g glass aquarium, a Rena Filstar xp4 canister a marineland penguin 350, and 2 Marineland penguin 660 powerheads.

When I was last into tanks I had a Hexagon tank(aka coffin tank). Abd a 50 gallon with 2 Marineland HOB filters on it. So now I am looking for some help or pointers on setting it up. Right now I have the canister sucking from the right side and blowing out the left, and the Penguin 350 on the left side. When the guy and I was taking this tank down from his place. His tank was as clear as a empty brand new Acrylic tank. before he started handing me things and taking the lights off. I caught a glimpse of a powerhead set up.

What would be a good or ideal way to set the tank up for African Cichlids like Kribensis, Bumblebee, Electric Yellow, and Angle fish. The guy told me his Pecock Cichlids liked the current. Up down, left right, diagonal, I dont know.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/Thewalmsleyshome/MOBILE%20UPLOAD/IMAG0452.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/Thewalmsleyshome/MOBILE%20UPLOAD/IMAG0470.jpg

MOBILE UPLOAD :: VIDEO0012.mp4 video by Thewalmsleyshome - Photobucket

Cichlids would you like to do? Unfortunately some of the ones you named can't go together. The bumble bee and electric yellow are mbuna Cichlids and they can go together. But can't go with the others. If it was me I'd pick the main fish you like the best and build from there. If you want plants that falls in play aswell.

Sorry for the long weight for the reply. Life got real busy at home. Well some ppl think Im crazy, But the tank is going to focus on Kribensis mainly.

Wow.. you can house a gazillion Kribs in there! :brows:

Ya thanks, I learned years ago that LARGER tanks have more room for errors and not causing such a big problem. I have been told by many that smaller tanks require more attention vs larger tanks. Now I did get my wife a 90g acrylic with a Rena xp3 filter. But I would never go smaller then her 909. I now have 2 125 g tanks and one of them came with 2 Rena xp3 filters but the current set up tank is the one I want to really focus on now. Hence the title looking for advice with the powerheads and filters. Once guy told me to try a Whirlpool setup. But I have read others wih only one powerhead.

And I cant recall why or when I fell for this single breed fish. But over the years I have gotten out of the hobby and now after years later. I figure it will come back to me. But the 4 that are in there catch my eye all the time. I have not seen any red belly's but today is only there second day, and last night I spent 1 hour trying to catch a Bumblebee Cichlid that is a butthead. I tried to stay away from the Kribs but this one inch Bumblebee is a fast little bugger.

Kribensis said:
Ya thanks, I learned years ago that LARGER tanks have more room for errors and not causing such a big problem. I have been told by many that smaller tanks require more attention vs larger tanks. Now I did get my wife a 90g acrylic with a Rena xp3 filter. But I would never go smaller then her 909. I now have 2 125 g tanks and one of them came with 2 Rena xp3 filters but the current set up tank is the one I want to really focus on now. Hence the title looking for advice with the powerheads and filters. Once guy told me to try a Whirlpool setup. But I have read others wih only one powerhead.

And I cant recall why or when I fell for this single breed fish. But over the years I have gotten out of the hobby and now after years later. I figure it will come back to me. But the 4 that are in there catch my eye all the time. I have not seen any red belly's but today is only there second day, and last night I spent 1 hour trying to catch a Bumblebee Cichlid that is a butthead. I tried to stay away from the Kribs but this one inch Bumblebee is a fast little bugger.

On my 180g I have two xp3, 2 power heads and a hob filter. Oh and a sump but I don't run it anymore witch is going to come out to be turned into salt.

Most mbunas are not easy to catch just an FYI. On my 180 I have to drain the water down to 5" or so lol

Most mbunas are not easy to catch just an FYI. On my 180 I have to drain the water down to 5" or so lol

OMG I have take pride in the care and handeling and catching of fish. I help ppl at walmart. And then the managers get upset. Who wants to weight a hour for fish that may not even live when they get them home. I know walmart is no good with there fish, just pointing out that I am not bad at catching all fish. But yes... pet stores have them in smaller tanks. Even my wife tried, then bot of us. I cant fins the 4 Kribensis anywhere. So not only is this Bumble Bee fish picking on others. Now our repeated attempts got to be stressing the others out. OMG! Im going to stick a power cord into the water. That will fix that dang fish. JOKING. the 4 kribs I just got yesterday seem to favor the left side of the tank. So I try not to mess with that part... But when she gets to the right. I CANT GET HER. To top it off I got her from Pet Smart and the was a we little thing. Less then a inch. I HOPE the KRIBENSIS grow a back bone and kill that Bumble Bee.

WE GOT THE LITTLE F'ER. Well my wife did it really. I had a small flower pot just upside down. And when my wife was stressing and winnning over him picking on another fish. She saw him go into the pot and SLAM, she put the net over that hole. She called me and I lifted and swooped him up. He is now in a 90 gallon aquarium with 3 Comet Gold Fish. If they get hungry tonight, then I guess its a "Food Chain" Otherwise he will go on Craigslist. But now all my Kribensis can live in piece. I also have some other torpedo fish in there that has a long stripe along the body. Pet Smart had them in a variety tank with a picture of them. It said "Auratus Chichlid" They seem cool. They even helped me get the Bumble Bee, I swear they were helping. When he ended up on the left side of the tank they would nip and chase after him. Are they OK with Kribensis? They seem fine and have never seen the fight.

Kribensis said:
WE GOT THE LITTLE F'ER. Well my wife did it really. I had a small flower pot just upside down. And when my wife was stressing and winnning over him picking on another fish. She saw him go into the pot and SLAM, she put the net over that hole. She called me and I lifted and swooped him up. He is now in a 90 gallon aquarium with 3 Comet Gold Fish. If they get hungry tonight, then I guess its a "Food Chain" Otherwise he will go on Craigslist. But now all my Kribensis can live in piece. I also have some other torpedo fish in there that has a long stripe along the body. Pet Smart had them in a variety tank with a picture of them. It said "Auratus Chichlid" They seem cool. They even helped me get the Bumble Bee, I swear they were helping. When he ended up on the left side of the tank they would nip and chase after him. Are they OK with Kribensis? They seem fine and have never seen the fight.

The Auratus and the bee will be fine together. They are both mbuna and both are aggressive. The Auratus I think is more aggressive then the bee. Wait it out and see what happens. The bee will more than likely kill the goldfish and eat them.

Maybe african butterfly, tetras, barbs or maybe jewels cichlid would be ok. But any of the african lake fish are more than likely aren't going to work.

Not saying all these will work or together just maybe giving options to loom into. Because I've never kept a krib but its a beautiful fish.

What lakes or fish can I put in this 125g tank with my favorite Kribensis? "Lakes, meaning like Tanganeka, Malui or what ever. You know what I mean? Thanks. I still cant recall what first attracted me to this fish. It was back when my brother and I were into Oscars, Red Devels, and Jaguire Cichlids. Maybe it was the fact they did not need a 500g tank when full grown? I dont know. I remember I was one of them Betta(fighting fish" lovers and air breathing fans back then also... Like Lung Fish, Betta's, and Paradise Fish. So I Just dont know. But I got 4 now and soon to add more, until they mate.

They I believe are african river fish. That's why I said maybe it can go with the jewel because they are aswell. I seen your other thread and I'm subscribed

Do you think I should use the powerheads in the 125 with the kribs? I'll take a current video with my phone.

This video was from last week. I dont know what that blue guy is. My wife wanted him from walmart. His name was listed as "Assorted Cichlids" LOL

MOBILE UPLOAD :: VIDEO0013_zps6d845c48.mp4 video by Thewalmsleyshome - Photobucket

Im working on a current video from my phone to show my filter locations and the one power head.

Back
Top Bottom