12DX LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bleehhh. TONS of homework lately. Have barely had time to get on the boards. I need to finish framing up the stand. Tank is still sitting on my counter, not plumbed so the water circulation is quite poor. No losses so far, but the algae fgot out of control last week and killed half of my Verde. I need to find the time to get it all together....

Oh man, I know what you mean about too much HW! Got engineering tests and everything. My tanks have got the filmy dusty algae thing going on like no ones business!

Got to find some time to get them cleaned up. Still doing the PWC though. Go get yourself a new coral...Thats what motivates me to clean the place up! Ive got some new corals on the way in a trade im doing. Im trading 9 Red People Eaters for some Armour Of God and Purple Deaths...

Matt

Jim, how do you like the color combo with 1:1 white/blue? I'm about to order my LEDs 2:1 blue over white to get more of a 20k look but I will lose a lot of lumens that way. So now I am thinking
12x xp-g white and 12x xr-e blue in one 6x12 heatsink

I like it, but i never really run them at full power next to each other. I have pots on both strings and I dim each to achieve the color temp I like. I would start with 1:1 since its hard to predict how they will look next to your other lights. Just place them so that at a later time you have the option to stick a few more on there. Thats another great advantage of LEDS, as long as your power supply can take it.

I proooommmmissse I will have an update soon, I am still lurking quite often. It's hard because I have to manage everything with my team and we are travelling a lot, go to practice, hours of homework, and put together a portfolio and interview for jobs. Needless to say its crazy around here. As soon as I grab some wood to cut up and finish the stand, I will have pictures.

Stay strong Matt! no one said it was easy to carry this hobby at our age, lol.

Mixing up my last bucket of water, then getting ready to switch everything over. Pics by tonight.

Agreed. just started putting mini frags into my 10gal 6bllue 6 white cree led tank and man they been opening up. Thinking about taking the crabs back out as they keep running over my newly acquired zoa frags. hopefully they'll pick it clean here soon so they stop.

Do hermit crabs eat coral frags?

-Brett

Moon lights are just a dark blue light that come on at night to simulate the moons glow over the reefs. It has been show to help coral grow in a couple studies, though still widely debated. At this point they are mostly for show.

Hermit crabs will not usually eat coral. Kristall was referring to cleaning the area around the frags so that the crabs would stop climbing everywhere and leave the area and the coral be.

Pics sooooon....Cleaning off the final couple frags.

Well Jim, the moonlight effect of my LED setup follows the moon cycle. It goes from total darkness of New Moon, to just one of the 3 light modules running at about 5% to all 3 running at 10% for the full moon.

Think about how bright a moonlit night is at the equator and you'll have a good idea if just how bright the tank is for part of the month.

Haha, I love moon lights, I was just trying to explain them for the other guy. I plan to add some at some point.

I promised you pictures, but I didn't say they had to be good. Tank is still pretty cloudy, I tried to keep the sand dust down as much as I could. I had a MASSIVE red flatworm infestation so moving everything over was slightly more painstaken. I made sure to shake and scrub every piece of rock, frag and even the snails. Im going to let the frags settle in for a week or so, then start cutting them off their bases and mounting them around. Still have to "coralscape" a bit in my head.

Transition wen't pretty smooth, considering it was only from one side of the room to the other. Im looking forward to really keeping my hands out now and just sitting back and watching it do its thing. Aquascape is pretty final, I want to get my clam off that huge rock, but I'm not sure. I'll keep you posted.

Front:
img_1171477_0_58c6ef166b80e3af815f36768c1703b0.jpg

Left:
img_1171477_1_f5f28a1c401c4d7a2e8a19d0e686a79a.jpg

Right:
img_1171477_2_00b9b911597961e8afc0b4a4cac12900.jpg

Looks good jimbo. You will have to post some more pictures once everything settles so we can see your coral.

Hey Jimbo, thanks for the advice.

How bout another? So If I have, I guess you'd call it a frag, or mini-frag, I can't just put it in the sand and let it grow? or could I put it on a peice of cement for a base... and why the need for a base?

Thanks
-Brett

Back
Top Bottom