140 gallon HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hacman01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just acquired a 140 gallon tank that has 4 pre-drilled bulkheads in the bottom...in the CENTER of the tank (ugh) Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas as for a sump and how to hide the intakes and such.
ALSO, this is going into my daughters room, so what kind of fish should I stock it with? I'm looking for something that has a large school, and something to keep it in that school...my rasboras used to attack my rainbows at one point so trying to steer away from that one. (correct me if that was a bad idea!)
Thanks!

Welcome to AA ! :) 140 gallons is a real good size you have soooo many options! I suggest googling stocking for a 140 gallon tank. Might I recommend tons of cories (preferrably sand substrate, PFS is my fav). They are very fun fish. Are you currently cycling it? I can't help with the sump deal I have no clue about sumps but I am sure someone will be able to help with that.

It is currently not cycling, right now I am working on framing it into the wall with sliding doors top and bottom, and working on hooking it up to water and house drainage.
Maxima; She is 2, but knows her fish...we frequent the Vancouver Aquarium and I have kept tanks for her since she was born. I was thinking about doing various schooling fish, but she said she wants her angels back, so I'm not sure.
Logansmomma; Cories are a great idea, I never have a tank without them! Usually a few otto cats as well.

Welcome to AA! :)

Sounds like it was a reef ready peninsula tank. Very nice pick up! You likely want to search for overflow kits. I'm a fan of lots of little fish too. If it were my tank, (dreamin and droolin) I'd work towards an eventual stocking of 10-15 cories or yoyoish loaches, 2 schools of 20 or so tetra/rasbora/danio, a pair of bristlenose, and a trio of angels. Leaves plenty of room for a few small future additions (you know you'll want to) and would be a blast to watch IMO. Thanks for the daydreams! lol

Holy smokes HN1! You just blew my mind...that would be such a sweet tank, that I will keep that in mind, and I will have to look into over flow kits. I will get some pics sometime soon hopefully of the tank itself.

OH! tank dimentions...113.5" L, 11.75" W, 24.5" H

My son is 18 months and loves his tanks as well. The FW is on a short stand on his eye level and I put him on a stool to watch "Dory." in teh SW tank, while I do maintenance. The FW is a 90 Gal and I have Two Green Severums and Two angels as my big fish (for now) i also got a few clown loaches, danios, rainbows, green barbs, irridescent sharks and other misc.

I was told not to get a knife. And I would not recommend a Pacu as they get incredably huge, too big for a tank.

I would go with a lot of angels, if that is what she likes. or discus, if you can afford them.

Haha, ya, I will stick the the Angels...I have already sunk enough into the tank and such.

yea, ever since i read this thread i also have been daydreaming, especially at work, what i thought about in that 8hrs time is this:

school of 10 white cloud minnows
school of 10 glowlight danios
school of 10 celestial pearl danios
school of 10 glowlight tetra
school of 10 cardinal tetra
school of 6-10 panda corys
school of 6-10 skunk corys
school of angelfish ( dont really know much about them, but your daughter likes them so ofcourse you have to have them as the "showcase" of the tank )
school of otos ( guessing since its a really big tank, you would need a lot after your tank is established )
and ofcourse!!! if your tank is planted, SHRIMP!!!!!!!!

so yea, thats what i do at work ^_^ lots of activity, color and your daughter would probably never leave her room!!!

I can't wait until my son is old enough to pick out some fish! I am so excited to let him put his first tank together! That's not for a couple of years though :/

Well my whole plan is that she loves her room to the point where she doesn't want to leave, but ya I cant wait till she's a bit older to pick her own as well. She picks a few, but not many

Back
Top Bottom