15 Gallon Tall - Stocking Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onelilmermaid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I have a 15 gal tall Aqueon tank, ready for fish, and I'd love some advice on fish to get. I really want a fish with a gorgeous tail, and discovered to my dismay the tank won't work for goldfish, so I thought maybe a betta? I know people have succesfully kept them in community tanks, and I'd definetly like at least one cleaner fish. Anyone have any suggestions?

You could do a Betta, some Pygmy cories, an african dwarf frog and some shrimp?

Unfortunately a 15g tall does not have a very good footprint to hold many fish, but it would make a terrific betta tank! I agree with the suggestion of pygmy cories too, although just watch the betta with them. Depending on your decor and the betta's temperament you might be able to get away with some shrimp though.

I think it would make a good tank for celestial pearl danios, because they go all over the tank and 8 of them would be nice with a betta and 5 pygmy corys.

Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunately, my mother wants me to get a plecy, and since it's her money I guess I'm getting one and hoping they won't fight. I'm researching the other fish you guys suggested and I'll definitely post here when I have a better idea. Thanks again and I'd love to hear any further suggestions!

Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunately, my mother wants me to get a plecy, and since it's her money I guess I'm getting one and hoping they won't fight. I'm researching the other fish you guys suggested and I'll definitely post here when I have a better idea. Thanks again and I'd love to hear any further suggestions!

I'm assuming you mean Pleco? If so absolutely not they require 125 for the common plecos (most popular) and I'm not aware of any type of Pleco that can go in your thank. Sorry

I agree with tommy, that no pleco can go in that tank. And if your mom disagrees, then just teller her that a full grown pleco quite literally couldn't fit in that tank. They grow to 2 feet long and even the smaller varieties are far too big.

I have the same tank as you, I'm using it for saltwater. I love the light. Anything listed above would work.

Yes, I do mean pleco, sorry. Her plan is to give it back to the store when it gets too big. I've been trying to talk to her about it, but we've "come to blows" over the tank quite a bit already (she's not used to this sort of aproach to Freshwater fish).

I may end up not getting a betta, and getting some long tailed zebra danios and a few guppies, but I'm still unsure. I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and see what's available to me. It's hard to decide from pictures.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Zebra danios are very active and shouldn't be in your tank. Nano fish would be best. Neon tetras, chili rasboras, ember and platinum tetras, and celestial pearl danios along with one centerpiece fish like a betta or honey gourami and 5 pygmy corys would be best.

Ok, so, I've been to the store and talked with a very nice staff, and here's what I ended up with:

1 Halfmoon Betta
1 Ghost shrimp (named Zero)
2 Cardinal Tetras
3 pink platies of unkown type

I also got some live plants including a floating moss ball to help them get along. I've been keeping an eye on them and they're doing great, and if any problems come up I can bring them back.

Thank you all for your advice! I hope I did well.

Ok, so, I've been to the store and talked with a very nice staff, and here's what I ended up with:

1 Halfmoon Betta

1 Ghost shrimp (named Zero)

2 Cardinal Tetras

3 pink platies of unkown type

I also got some live plants including a floating moss ball to help them get along. I've been keeping an eye on them and they're doing great, and if any problems come up I can bring them back.

Thank you all for your advice! I hope I did well.

Cardinal tetras need to be in schools of 5+

Well yes, you should probably add more cardinals. The problem is the platys huge bioload. I guess you should add 3 or 4 more cardinals to give them a school, but you'll need to have a good filter and be diligent on water changes.

I just discovered those "platys" are in fact female twinbar solar flare swordtails, so I may have to take them back to the store. I'd like to exchange them for more cardinal tetras and maybe a platy or two?

Back
Top Bottom