15 litre biorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I bought a 15 litre biorb a while ago (i believe it's about 3.5 gallons...?). unfortunately there are no heater fittings for this size biorb, so although it's kept in an upstairs room (so warm-ish), it could only really be described as cold or sub-tropical.
is there anything i can keep in it? i know it's very small, but was the only size i could fit on my desk.
thanks

Before you put anything in a tank that small, make sure it's cycled. Read the article on fishless cycling at the top of the Getting Started forum. Such a small volume of water will require more than usual attention to chemistry and frequent water changes.

I'm not aware of any fish commonly sold in pet stores that would appreciate those conditions. However, as long as a heater has a thermostat and fits in the tank, there's nothing wrong with using one rated for a larger tank.

I would recommend the Hydor Mini Aquarium heater. It is rated for 2-5 gal, and due to its small flat shape, can easily be hidden underneath the gravel. I have had good experience with it in a 5 gal.

You could get a Betta but I do recommend getting a small heater that can be hidden underneath the gravel, just like Lymore said!

ah brilliant, i was hoping that i would be able to get a betta.
thanks very much for advice on that heater!

have bought that little heater you guys recommended. should be arriving in the next few days!
yep don't worry i will definitely be cycling the tank.
is there anything that i can put in there with a betta when i get him?

There are fish that can go in with a betta, but because of your size, your are quite limited.

If you got a larger tank you could put white clouds, or neons, or other small schooling fish in with the betta. People have also successfully kept platies, danios, small tetras, and mollies with bettas. Bettas usually just have problems with other bettas, fish that are too aggressive, and fin nippers.

With 3.5 gal, you could add some ghost shrimp, they are generally inexpensive (under $0.50 per shrimp) and add some life to your tank. I personally love shrimp, they are fun to watch. You could add a snail too. Some people even put 2 cories in a tank that size, but I'm not sure that would be enough room.

I wouldn't recommend any kind of catfish, but I do love ghost shrimp.

hm yes i would have to agree that the little catfish might be a bit much. shrimp sound cool though! or another option, i have read that a lot of people keep african dwarf frogs with bettas - is that a possibility/advisable?

I have an african dwarf frog in my guppy tank. He hides under the driftwood most of the time. He doesn't bother my fish... but my guppies tried to eat his toes at first...

I don't know if you could put one of them in that size tank...

But if it turns out you can have one, be completely sure you are getting an African Dwarf Frog, and NOT an African Clawed Frog. The clawed frog will get much much larger, and he will eat any fish he can catch.

An easy way to tell the difference is the ADF will have webbing on his front feet while the ACF will have no webbing on his front feet, just claws.

I agree there's no species compatibility issue, but I don't think the frog would be very happy in that environment.

ah yes, i see your point, fair enough. well i will read up on the frogs, but if not i am happy to keep the betta alone!
thank for all your help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom