150 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a 150 Gallon Fish Tank off of Craigslist for $500. It came with everything stand, gravel, sump, Hood, light, and other things. But what should I put in it?? The fish I will be putting in it from my 45 g tank are rainbow shark, eclipse catfish, and bristle nose Pleco. So any cool fish that are compatible with the ones I have will be good. All suggestions appreciated thanks!!

vanimal said:
I just bought a 150 Gallon Fish Tank off of Craigslist for $500. It came with everything stand, gravel, sump, Hood, light, and other things. But what should I put in it?? The fish I will be putting in it from my 45 g tank are rainbow shark, eclipse catfish, and bristle nose Pleco. So any cool fish that are compatible with the ones I have will be good. All suggestions appreciated thanks!!

Has it been cycled? If it hasn't cycle it first then we'll talk
LOL

No not even set up yet. I wont put fish in it for at least 2 weeks once it is setup. Just looking for ideas

You should consider dropping the sharks and turning to cichlids and other predatory fish like arowana and gars... But if you really want to do rainbow sharks i have no ideas

Ok but unfortunayely I can't do cichlids with the fish I have.

Eclipse catfish are very social, and ideally people keep more than one, but, any other peaceful fish will work as the Eclipse's tank buddy, especially other similarly sized bottom dwellers, like that shark. Just make sure now that you have the pleco and the catfish, plus the shark, that are all peaceful, DON'T add any really aggressive fish. If you mix the two personalities, one usually ends up getting hurt. There are a lot of medium sized peaceful fish, my two Eclipse catfish have bonded with my African Brown Knife, for instance. Just nothing that's nippy or will hurt them in any way. It just depends on what kinds of fish you like.

Oh yeah I used to have Bala Sharks and they almost killed my rainbow shark. But luckily for my rainbow shark they all died from a disease. But my rainbow shark is now recovering! :) Should I get another Eclipse Catfish then??

When they get larger they get territorial.. if you didn't introduce them to the tank together, the catfish will be fine with the shark. Plus, one of my catfish prefers my knifefish over the smaller one anyways, he's usually left alone to do what he wants. :lol:

imtcurveball said:
You should consider dropping the sharks and turning to cichlids and other predatory fish like arowana and gars... But if you really want to do rainbow sharks i have no ideas

Arowana's get more then a foot and a half long ?! I wouldnt personally do that because on the internet it say they need 175-200 minimum because a 150 isn't wide enough.
I would do:
The rainbow shark
2 bristle nose pleco
10-15 black skirt tetras
9 panda or sterbai cories
8 hatchet fish or 1m 2-3F dwarf gourami .
( and the other fish you listed lol !! )

I feel you still have room for more though. Good luck!! :)

Look on Craigslist they have great deals! I'm sure you could find one! :)

Arowana's get more then a foot and a half long ?! I wouldnt personally do that because on the internet it say they need 175-200 minimum because a 150 isn't wide enough.
I would do:
The rainbow shark
2 bristle nose pleco
10-15 black skirt tetras
9 panda or sterbai cories
8 hatchet fish or 1m 2-3F dwarf gourami .
( and the other fish you listed lol !! )

I feel you still have room for more though. Good luck!! :)

Eclipse catfish get around 10" long, they'll eat all the tetras and the hatchetfish, maybe even the gouramis. Cories definitely.

I'm doing Rainbowfish in my 125.

Yeah in my 45 gallon tank I have guppies that breed constantly... But he eats all their babies and I think my rainbow shark might too.

Back
Top Bottom