150g Amazon build advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Idk about you guys but Id love to see a few pics of this set up sounds well planned out good luck to ya ! I think these guys will more then help you !

Idk about you guys but Id love to see a few pics of this set up sounds well planned out good luck to ya ! I think these guys will more then help you !

I am taking pictures as I go- I can't post any in these forums or access my profile to add albums, and this is only one of my current projects, my others are a 90g coldwater, a 60g high tech fully planted Southeast Asian blackwater biotope, a 65g aquascape and a 55g oscar and cherax lobster feature, Mississippi style. Once these are all either done, I hit a major stumbling block or I can post photos and albums to my profile with the mobile version I'll post when I get a chance to link to my 'puter....

I just got a baby jack Dempsey and a breeding pair of gold convicts in trade for my sd pacu and I traded my pictus for a group of 3 purple diamond pacu- 3 1/2 inches- plus I've got a deal with an lfs to raise them to 8 inches and I get my choice of Amazon giants during juvenile stage to raise to adult for bringing them back at 8 inches plus a replacement pacu. I guess it helps his business out by more than tripling the price he can sell it for without having to pay to raise them out of pocket. Doesn't matter to me- I get the most awesome of awesome Amazons that are the perfect size and I get to change them whenever they outgrow my tank for a different species :D I'm a happy aquarium junkie!!! ;) and my hubby is happy I won't have to cough up any money to satisfy my scientific mind to see species interactions at different stages and am now loving Amazon creatures more and more as I interact with them. I have to say, though, Southeast Asian biotopes are still my favorite to sit back and watch, but they are difficult to care for, but not as messy as cichlids or goldfish. Lol, just an observation...

I am taking pictures as I go- I can't post any in these forums or access my profile to add albums, and this is only one of my current projects, my others are a 90g coldwater, a 60g high tech fully planted Southeast Asian blackwater biotope, a 65g aquascape and a 55g oscar and cherax lobster feature, Mississippi style. Once these are all either done, I hit a major stumbling block or I can post photos and albums to my profile with the mobile version I'll post when I get a chance to link to my 'puter....

I just got a baby jack Dempsey and a breeding pair of gold convicts in trade for my sd pacu and I traded my pictus for a group of 3 purple diamond pacu- 3 1/2 inches- plus I've got a deal with an lfs to raise them to 8 inches and I get my choice of Amazon giants during juvenile stage to raise to adult for bringing them back at 8 inches plus a replacement pacu. I guess it helps his business out by more than tripling the price he can sell it for without having to pay to raise them out of pocket. Doesn't matter to me- I get the most awesome of awesome Amazons that are the perfect size and I get to change them whenever they outgrow my tank for a different species :D I'm a happy aquarium junkie!!! ;) and my hubby is happy I won't have to cough up any money to satisfy my scientific mind to see species interactions at different stages and am now loving Amazon creatures more and more as I interact with them. I have to say, though, Southeast Asian biotopes are still my favorite to sit back and watch, but they are difficult to care for, but not as messy as cichlids or goldfish. Lol, just an observation...

Sounds good! Gold convict ?? Never heard of them no trace of them on web is this some kind of new variation via selective breeding Cuz I've only seen oink and marbled

Sounds good! Gold convict ?? Never heard of them no trace of them on web is this some kind of new variation via selective breeding Cuz I've only seen oink and marbled

Most likely just a leucistic color morph. Which is pretty common in most fish.

Yup!! It's similar to the new lemon/ yellow oscar variant. They look like the black/ blue and white convicts only they are yellow and white, and they are VERY mild mannered compared to the rest of my current sa cichlids, which is so funny because Gino is the first oscar I have raised that has fit the aggressive territorial jerkface spoiled big baby- he will only eat handfed cichlid sticks, sundried river shrimp and will nibble on watermelon while he plays ball with a melon ball and beats you'll
R l

Yup!! It's similar to the new lemon/ yellow oscar variant. They look like the black/ blue and white convicts only they are yellow and white, and they are VERY mild mannered compared to the rest of my current sa cichlids, which is so funny because Gino is the first oscar I have raised that has fit the aggressive territorial jerkface spoiled big baby- he will only eat handfed cichlid sticks, sundried river shrimp and will nibble on watermelon while he plays ball with a melon ball and beats you'll
R l

Yep those are all leucistic fish, it's a byproduct of selective/line breeding in fish. If those convict pair off they won't be mild mannered for long, just gotta love those CA cichlids.

R l

Darn phone- correction, beats up all tank mates that even look at him, other than his hunting buddy the lobster. All my other oscars have been pretty mellow and haven't bothered any separate species with their shenanigans... Gino is one big, grumpy and sadistic oscar... And I'm in love... I have a Dempsey who is being community raised and hadn't

Darn phone- correction, beats up all tank mates that even look at him, other than his hunting buddy the lobster. All my other oscars have been pretty mellow and haven't bothered any separate species with their shenanigans... Gino is one big, grumpy and sadistic oscar... And I'm in love... I have a Dempsey who is being community raised and hadn't

Hasn't shown signs of bullying, just wants his own spot in a corner with plants, shade and easy sneaky access to the entire tank- though he does like to chase things, but he won't nip or grab he just disappears, and these are newborn ghost shrimp hatchlings. He likes blanched cucumbers and beefheart served from a dropper. I'm still working on getting him to accept other foods- anyone know if seachem entice works at all?

Yep those are all leucistic fish, it's a byproduct of selective/line breeding in fish. If those convict pair off they won't be mild mannered for long, just gotta love those CA cichlids.

Really? They are paired- they had their first babies last week and still no aggression- even towards my baby Dempsey who I introduced 2 days ago... They stay in their cave hidden in a patch of crypts (undulata, crispus and balansae) and my Dempsey likes to patrol just above the midground plants and pretend to hunt sinking earthworm pellets...

Is it normal for NW cichlids to spit at you when you ignore them? My oscar does this to me every time I walk by his tank without handfeeding him cichlid sticks and putting my hand in the tank to let him eat the crumbs off my fingers!!

I guess I'm lucky I have several tanks I can set up!! I'm not too worried, they had 2 week old swimmer fry at my lfs and were in a 40b with a few pink cons and all they did was stay in their corner- I got the cave and surrounding plants from my lfs and set them up like they were there and they settled in like they were never transferred. I'm hoping since there is PLENTY of room and I have my SE Asian heavy planted 50g, which will soon be empty, to house fry, I won't have as much of a problem as if I were going into this project blind and undersourced :) like my lfs, lol.

In your honest opinion, though, with having a breeding pair of convicts (4 inches) and a baby Dempsey (2 1/2 inches) sectioned into half of a 150g- am waiting on the last of my substrate to come in to build a 'hill'- is gonna be a problem? I am not asking this to be sarcastic- I know what books say and what I've observed so far, but this is my first NW cichlid tank, and experiences of others are paramount, do you think I'll be ok?

Back
Top Bottom