150gal in-wall simulated marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude.... That's like all I have to say
I barely even have one fluval fx5 in my budget and you have them laying around?!?!?
Wow dude, that's some pretty amazing fish and tank. I normally don't like glo fish but you've made me like them in that tank! That amazingly looks a lot like a salt water tank, to the untrained eye it would be very hard to tell. Especially the cats and Balas, that just makes It awesome.

Dude.... That's like all I have to say
I barely even have one fluval fx5 in my budget and you have them laying around?!?!?
Wow dude, that's some pretty amazing fish and tank. I normally don't like glo fish but you've made me like them in that tank! That amazingly looks a lot like a salt water tank, to the untrained eye it would be very hard to tell. Especially the cats and Balas, that just makes It awesome.

thanks man, i'm not a big fan of glows either but they work great in this scenario. I wanted to simulate a marine tank. and when I have my moon light led's on, they GLOW like you wouldn't believe. it's like one huge night light, lol. I like to have backups of everything, including the FX5. so if one goes, I just swap out the motor or just move the media to a new FX and start it up. not to mention everything is on battery backup. I've had my share of lost fish due to power outages.

I tried to take pics at night with the moon light, but can't seem to get the right settings on my SLR. this is the best I could get, and it does NOT do it justice. the fish actually glow like they have LED's inside of them!
60421-albums12766-picture59420.jpg

Thumbs up on this tank..its really sweet! The fire mouth doesn't bother anything? Also I love the bala..what are you feeding him? Steroids?! Lol

Thumbs up on this tank..its really sweet! The fire mouth doesn't bother anything? Also I love the bala..what are you feeding him? Steroids?! Lol

Thanks !
when I started this tank it was a community tank from the start so their was a bunch of fish all thrown in together at the same time so no one had any territory. and it stayed that way thank god. each type of fish stays with it's own kind. it's funny, the glows all stick together, the bala's swim as a trio, the silver dollars are in a bunch. and when they school around it looks GREAT. even the barbs school around, I have 5 of them.

it looks very natural. but I have to admit the glows are like a gang, they swarm around in groups of 10-15. I think I have about 36 glows in there at the moment. dozen of each color.

my ID sharks swim back and forth so the fish school in defense. they have no idea the ID sharks want nothing to do with them, lol

I have a mixture of food for them, flakes and pellets and sometimes frozen.
but for the most time, I just do flakes for convenience.

Billberet my wife said your tank is pretty lol and it really is an awesome tank

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

it runs all my tanks and my house.
I don't want to go off topic but it's an entire home automation system.
handles all my security, camera's, video, Movies, Music, lights, theater, fish, FIOS STB.
I have motion sensors in all the rooms and as you move, your music will follow you from room to room. or if i'm playing xbox and my wife wants the tv, as I walk to another room, my xbox will follow me to that room.
I have speakers in all the walls so it's great when we have parties.
I have 300TB of storage in an array doing raid 5. Meaning it is striped across 3 drives, so I can loose 1/3 of all my drives and I can still retrieve my data.

there is also voice activation, I have a microphone in certain rooms that I can do voice commands.
when I have friends over it's hard to get them to leave, lol.

this is good for all my anime and movies and music!!!

Do you create custom automation like this for a living? Seems like a lot of people would pay good money to have you give them this same kind of set up!

Do you create custom automation like this for a living? Seems like a lot of people would pay good money to have you give them this same kind of set up!
I'm actually a software developer, so I wrote my own software that controls my house. :)
the home automation is a hobby, like fishkeeping.

Billberet my wife said your tank is pretty lol and it really is an awesome tank

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

THANKS man!!!
I had to put pink fish in the tank for my wife, made her happy :)
happy wife, happy life ;)

who needs a TV when you have a tank that's bigger!

***The REAL Bubble Guppies***

60421-albums12766-picture65027.jpg

Ammmmaaaazing,

Can you tell my wife that's exactly what our house needs please.

I've seen a lot of really great DIY projects and I don't comment on things often. But your tank and set up? So legit, it looks amazing! Nice job!

You should think about starting up small company of your own. People (myself included) would pay good money for a set up like this!

agree must be high

it's actually the opposite.
my setup is very efficient.

for fish, large volume of water means my heater barely has to work, the water insulates itself.
and I have DIY LED lighting which uses no energy, and an FX5 which is the equivalent of a 50w lightbulb.
if the fish are running or off, their is no difference in electric bill. I also have a rack of battery backups that run my fish for 24hrs if needed. I am going to be getting solar on my roof and run my fish off the grid.
it's just an experiment but it would be nice to not have to worry about the fish every time the power goes out during a winter storm.

next, home automation.
best way to explain is with an example.
you have 5 rooms with TV's
you need to get 5 cable boxes, one for each room.
My setup: one cable box that follows you to each room = less power consumption.

it's actually the opposite.
my setup is very efficient.

for fish, large volume of water means my heater barely has to work, the water insulates itself.
and I have DIY LED lighting which uses no energy, and an FX5 which is the equivalent of a 50w lightbulb.
if the fish are running or off, their is no difference in electric bill. I also have a rack of battery backups that run my fish for 24hrs if needed. I am going to be getting solar on my roof and run my fish off the grid.
it's just an experiment but it would be nice to not have to worry about the fish every time the power goes out during a winter storm.

next, home automation.
best way to explain is with an example.
you have 5 rooms with TV's
you need to get 5 cable boxes, one for each room.
My setup: one cable box that follows you to each room = less power consumption.

Good god man
That's really cool!

Very impressive setup! I started at the first post and read every single post. My wife and I recently picked up our first tank (65 Gallon) and we're in the process of staining the stand so we can get the tank setup and ready to cycle. We've never done this before so its very exciting. Then I run across this thread and it makes it much more exciting. The plan is to work with this one for 6 months to a year then upgrade to a 90 gallon if all goes well. She might veto that plan! haha

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and content.

Very impressive setup! I started at the first post and read every single post. My wife and I recently picked up our first tank (65 Gallon) and we're in the process of staining the stand so we can get the tank setup and ready to cycle. We've never done this before so its very exciting. Then I run across this thread and it makes it much more exciting. The plan is to work with this one for 6 months to a year then upgrade to a 90 gallon if all goes well. She might veto that plan! haha

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and content.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
GOOD luck on your new fishkeeping hobby, you are going to love it.
I started over 30 years ago and now I can never remember not having a tank.
but once you get one, then you need 2, then 3, lol it never ends.

make sure to post some pics of your setup!

Back
Top Bottom