150gal in-wall simulated marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok I made a quick vid to show how the automation works my tanks.
I opened a quick app on my ipad and send commands to my tank.

check it out.

it runs all my tanks and my house.
I don't want to go off topic but it's an entire home automation system.
handles all my security, camera's, video, Movies, Music, lights, theater, fish, FIOS STB.
I have motion sensors in all the rooms and as you move, your music will follow you from room to room. or if i'm playing xbox and my wife wants the tv, as I walk to another room, my xbox will follow me to that room.
I have speakers in all the walls so it's great when we have parties.
I have 300TB of storage in an array doing raid 5. Meaning it is striped across 3 drives, so I can loose 1/3 of all my drives and I can still retrieve my data.

there is also voice activation, I have a microphone in certain rooms that I can do voice commands.
when I have friends over it's hard to get them to leave, lol.

this is good for all my anime and movies and music!!!

ok I made a quick vid to show how the automation works my tanks.
I opened a quick app on my ipad and send commands to my tank.

check it out.

Wow just wow. Where's the video.

Video is there.
Does not show on the mobile app. Have to use a browser.

I also have no background.
by keeping the back room dark I give the illusion of depth. looks like the fish just float in darkness.

60421-albums12766-picture58852.jpg

almost forgot my filtration
I have a bunch of fx5's lying around, I used to have one in each tank, 3 tanks total. putting a FX5 on a 40gal was fun, it looked like a hurricane in there.
so for now, I keep my other fx5's as backups incase I have a failure on my DT.
all PVC plumbing until I get to the canister, then I switch to flex hose.
60421-albums12766-picture59551.jpg

I create all my own pressure fittings, by drilling out the pipe and having a flare.
almost looks factory!
60421-albums12766-picture59553.jpg

then I can take my FX5 intake pipe and slide it in without any glue. the pressure fit holds it in place.
60421-albums12766-picture59554.jpg

Awesome tanks I would love to do an in wall tank, check out the pics of my tank on my profile and tell me what you think and any tips would be much appreciated! :)

Awesome tanks I would love to do an in wall tank, check out the pics of my tank on my profile and tell me what you think and any tips would be much appreciated! :)
tanks look great.
if you want to really make it pop paint some rocks on the back wall behind the tank. or get a wallpaper with a rock theme. this will blend into your tank and it will look like it's coming out of the side of a mountain.
-remove the air stone, you don't need it since your circulator pump is facing the surface water. as long as you have movement on the surface water, you don't need air stones. this will give a more natural look.
-swap out your heaters to the black stealth heaters, they are flat black and you can hide them in the tank, again giving a more natural look.
-glue some rocks to your intake tube to hide it. I use GE Silicone type 1 clear
TYPE 1 ONLY!!!!!! or even a piece of driftwood

those were just some quick ideas that came to mind :)

I don't even know what to say but....wow! All the technology went a bit over my head (although I am sure my hubby would LOVE to hire you to do the same at our house!) but it is pretty impressive. What I really love is all the color in your tank! Looks like a marine tank at first glance! Great job! +1 on TOMT nominee! :)

I don't even know what to say but....wow! All the technology went a bit over my head (although I am sure my hubby would LOVE to hire you to do the same at our house!) but it is pretty impressive. What I really love is all the color in your tank! Looks like a marine tank at first glance! Great job! +1 on TOMT nominee! :)

thanks, it's a labor of love for sure!!!
after years of doing tanks you just find better and more efficient ways of doing things. and the best part about this hobby is you never reach your peak. there is always a bigger tank you can get, lol
but in my case, that was the biggest I could fit in my basement without ripping out the walls, lol.

I will have images soon, I am now currently working on building a planted refugium to remove nitrates. then all I have to do is add water, no more water changes needed.

I will have images soon, I am now currently working on building a planted refugium to remove nitrates. then all I have to do is add water, no more water changes needed.

Water changes are still gonna be needed but only to replenish the trace elements but with the refugim they won't be needed as often from what I understand.

Water changes are still gonna be needed but only to replenish the trace elements but with the refugim they won't be needed as often from what I understand.

Fish need trace elements in their diet to have a healthy fully functioning immune system. This can be provided by a good quality varied diet. I have several different foods I rotate with when I feed my fish.
Most trace elements are provided by the slow dissolving of minerals by pebbles and rocks in the substrate and by the addition of food and via the decay of fish waste as well as by decaying plants and bogwood.
My substrate is sand but I keep rocks on both sides of my coral structure for this purpose.

i'm sure I will do a water change here and there, maybe once a month.
but that's only to syphon along the top of the sand.
The new water added daily will replenish the trace elements as well.
I was going to build an ATO but my house plumbing goes right to my tank so it's easy enough to add water to the tank manually.

i'm very 'OCD' when it comes to my tank so knowing me i'll do water changes anyway, lol
even though I don't have too.

ok the planted refugium is up and running stand alone at the moment. I am waiting for my ehopps overflow then i'll be all set.

60421-albums12766-picture59795.jpg

ok the planted refugium is up and running stand alone at the moment. I am waiting for my ehopps overflow then i'll be all set.

Man. I do have to say, your tank has impressed me more than anything. Im amazed at how much work you did for it and I like all of your DIY things you did! That automation system is amazing and I dont think much would top it unless you get a bigger tank!

Back
Top Bottom