160 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

Currently have a 6 foot peas and haps tank which I love but getting another 6 foot 160 gallon tank in the next few months.

I’m wanting to dive into American cichlids and I just have no idea where to start. I’m wanting some big guys for this tank, just unsure of what I want and what would be a “peaceful” combination and how many realistically can go in 160 gallon (600 litres).

I like:
- any viejas ( how aggressive are they)
- geophagus
- rivulatus
- jack dempsey
- uaru
- hoplarchus psittacus
- severum
- heros Severus
- paratilapia polleni
- threadfin acara
- possibly an Oscar

Out of the ones listed above, what would make an alright mix ?

I really want a vieja but I don’t want it to be the only thing in the tank....

Thank you.

Oscars grow incredibly quickly and easily reach 12" (30 cm)+

They're fickle, moody and love to "arrange" tanks to suit their whims.

in my experience they're best in a species tank. Four or five is OK for a tank your size. Large heavy rocks are the best decorations.

They're usually not particularly aggressive as far a cichlids go but are unpredictable. They demand a fair amount of care and actually develop something of a personality--a personality that is easily depressed and bored if you don't give them enough attention.

You could do threadfin acara and winemilleri geo with some rams. The geo and rams really want soft water (80 tds) and very clean water - not sure about the threadfin they might be more robust. Temp would be around 82-83 for the rams and geo.
-
A lot depends on what you want - for large tanks i've always favored lots of small fishes but some people prefer a few very large fishes so it is hard to make suggestions.
-
With a lot of the fishes your list i'm not sure of the level of aggression - i could look them up but so can you - for the three i listed above they are not very aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom