16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right on about the cups. If you can use the wall rim hanger you should be golden. I found that Maxi Jet cups do better after they break in. When they're new they stink but after they get some tank film you'll have more luck. At least that's how all but one was.

Well I've already had to put it back up twice. But this time its not on coralline algae and it seems to be sticking well so hopefully that's all it was lol

Another thing that stinks is that its so bulky compared to my nano koralia PHs.

The MJs are very poorly made. The plastic piece connected to the shaft tends to break pretty easily and as you've already noticed they are pretty bulky. I use mine as utility pumps for like my reactor and water changing pump but that's it.

The MJs are very poorly made. The plastic piece connected to the shaft tends to break pretty easily and as you've already noticed they are pretty bulky. I use mine as utility pumps for like my reactor and water changing pump but that's it.

Yeah im using the MJ1200 for my gfo reactor on my 90. Seems to work well for that. I just didn't wanna spend another $30 on a small koralia PH for this tank. Maybe when I have more money down the road I'll buy one but for now it'll do the trick lol

In the old days they were only made by one manufacturer (in Italy I think) and were way higher quality. You can still get the good ones but you have to look for them and they're around the same price as Korallias so even then they're not the best option for straight up circulation. Most of my old ones ran for over 10 years on the original parts. I still love them for mixing saltwater but they just can't touch the fan type flow pumps for in tank use.

In the old days they were only made by one manufacturer (in Italy I think) and were way higher quality. You can still get the good ones but you have to look for them and they're around the same price as Korallias so even then they're not the best option for straight up circulation. Most of my old ones ran for over 10 years on the original parts. I still love them for mixing saltwater but they just can't touch the fan type flow pumps for in tank use.

Gotcha, yeah i think I saw some of the old ones you're talking about somewhere, can't remember. Lol tank is doing good with the added water movement for sure.

Now on to bulbs.... lol

Bulk Reef Supply has t-5 lights on sale this week. Just thought you might wanna look

Well i just bought 4 bulbs from my LFS bc they were a lot cheaper and I don't have pay shipping like I would with BRS.

They aren't the ones BRS sells tho, they're Coralife High Output. I got 2 blues, 1 white and 1 colormax(now that I'm looking at it the box says Freshwater) oh well, I'll see how it looks.

Original my light was blue, blue, white, white. I was thinking of trying Blue, white, colormax, blue. What do u guys think?

Wow, definitely different, not sure if I like the combos I have goin tho. There's no 'night time' switch lol

Tank looks a bit purplish lol

So i find myself moving corals from this tank to my 90 very often lol... i might make this small tank a softies/zoa/frag tank when the time comes...

That's a good idea. This would make a fine soft coral dominated tank and you wouldn't need to worry as much about spacing out aggressive corals. You'll have lots more room in the 90 for those anyway. That's a solid plan.

That's a good idea. This would make a fine soft coral dominated tank and you wouldn't need to worry as much about spacing out aggressive corals. You'll have lots more room in the 90 for those anyway. That's a solid plan.

:) good thing I just ordered my fragging tool kit, and an 8oz bottle of Coral rX :)

Not much has been going on wit this tank. A few mushrooms moved around on their own. My fire&ice and dragoneye zoas have really taken off ever since I changed my lights. Might start fragging them soon :)

just a thought but anyone know any LED lights small enough for this tank? i think a 120w fixture would be overkill. any smaller ones you guys would recommend??

I think I've developed the perfect system in this tank. Hear me out. I haven't done a Water Change in this tank in probably a month. Here are my numbers

Salinity 1.025
pH 8.1
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0.2ppm
Phosphates 0ppm
kH 9°
Calcium 400ppm
Magnesium 1300ppm

Only 2 things that moved was Calc and Mag :) I thought that was pretty neat and figured id share

Just added a purple tip condy anenome. Seems to be doing well although I'm not really too fond of where he moved himself to lol

I'm not a big fan of condys myself. They roam and sting to much. I had one that got chopped up in a powerhead once. It wasn't pretty! Still, if it behaves they're lovely creatures.

I'm not a big fan of condys myself. They roam and sting to much. I had one that got chopped up in a powerhead once. It wasn't pretty! Still, if it behaves they're lovely creatures.

Oh hi! Lol you have been MIA for what seems like months now Lol

Yeah I like it so far. It moved 3x already but seems to be settling in. :) I'll upload a pic later on

Back
Top Bottom