17.1 Gallon Rimless Tank Aquascaping with Ohko (Dragon) Stones - Jungle Aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junglefowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally I got time to start another tank in almost 2 years. This time is my first try in Iwagumi scape with some nice stones I received from a friend in Vietnam. Also my first try to grow dwarf baby tears as a carpet.

Tank dimension: 17.1 gallon - 24x12x14in (old tank from GLA)
Filter: Eheim 2213
Lighting: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700ºK/10000ºK 65W
Substrate: Old ADA Amazonia Aquasoil, ADA Power Sand Special S
Hardscape: Ohko (Dragon) Stones
Flora: Dwarf baby tears, Alternanthera Reineckii "mini", Hygrophila Pinnatifida, Pogostemon Stellatus "Narrow Leaf", Pogostemon Erectus, Rotala Colorata, Rotala Enie...
Fauna: Otos, Platy, Pencil fish, Siamen Algea Eater, Orange Neos shrimps, Snails...

Here is sompe pics to get started:
11 pieces of Ohko stones:
img_3359454_0_28a898ae834c774bc71ebd53e6000d32.jpg

Getting started:
img_3359454_1_2064b512b63e5f91a826468526764201.jpg

Pour a bag of ADA Power Sand Special S, I planned to have a sand river in the middle so only put the Sand on both side
img_3359454_2_d6952b762f23bc26381b3818eccf3dcb.jpg

Tried a few scapes:
img_3359454_3_880ad39d49ecb78a574dfb66bf90f3c8.jpg

img_3359454_4_bda8f71db90f023ab6ef088eeb577b24.jpg

img_3359454_5_f7ba79f576559722b0ed1e50ed1bd4d3.jpg

And I decided to go with this scape since it works out more for me on plants choice :)
img_3359454_6_b9f7ddaec5ecc74ce46ad7c2fc56d5ad.jpg

img_3359454_7_8fe6b3c46b06b81ff3ea6083dcf41db5.jpg

img_3359454_8_ff6e4bb08c746506fc11e92e80669971.jpg

img_3359454_9_4f4a41f0dfb743d0ef76f66b349c7105.jpg

Filled with water and run the filter for cycling, water was crystal clear than I expected:
img_3359454_10_7c60b9298d9746b9ccc0731bb8ec72d6.jpg

That's it for now, more pictures to come for planting and setup my CO2 system.
Hope you guys enjoy my journal here :)

Last edited:
You definitely have an eye for amazing scapes and the ability to put it them together. Not a lot of folks can do that; what they want to do and what they end up doing often goes in different directions.
Looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very nice! Been looking for those rocks all day. With no luck ? very nice scape.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Looking great!
Can't wait to see it progress! What fish are you thinking of stocking?

Thanks, I'm think a small group of neos shrimps (orange shrimp), siamen algea eater, otos catfish, and some smaller fish I have not tried yet? Any suggestion :)?

Those stones are SICK! I LOVE THEM!

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Thanks, these stones are very nice for mountain aquascapes

You definitely have an eye for amazing scapes and the ability to put it them together. Not a lot of folks can do that; what they want to do and what they end up doing often goes in different directions.
Looking forward to the updates.

Thanks bro, I hope I can keep it simple with this tank. Normally my tank turn into jungle with too many plants ;).

Very nice! Been looking for those rocks all day. With no luck [emoji22] very nice scape.

Thanks, I see folks selling this on ebay, expensive rocks.

Updating on planting!
Got a nice batch of HC and Alternanthera Reineckii "Mini" from a member of Planted Tank and the plants arrived in great shape, got enough HC to carpet the front and on the right side.

img_3359580_0_c194ce34f1322054ebdf662f666e74ab.jpg

img_3359580_1_58ac6d219b2d3c163bce776eb76f3fd7.jpg

Break down the HC batch into small clumps, get ready for planting
img_3359580_2_3d410c59c58901bb9a4948ff9a8e0c3b.jpg

Finish planting, somehow I could not use the tweezers to plant the HC, but I my hands worked a lot better and faster.
img_3359580_4_92f0e4fb34741c7b11ac40c6ceaa0c21.jpg

I got carpal tunnel just thinking about you planting all of those HC sprigs. Nice outcome!

Lovely materials to work with. Yay, what a fun tank to make!

Simple is hard sometimes. One of may favorite fish right now would be (other than Boraras Brigittae) would be Microdevario Kubotai. Might eat the shrimp since there isn't too much for "cover" unless you got Amanos or let the DBT get a little long, but then you might be concerned with scale.

The Kubotai are really busy guys unless you prefer a calm more tranquil tank something else might be better.

I think a little bunch of Dwarf Cories.

The Habrosus I got recently are too cute and tiny swim up and around, seldom above the center of the tank move all around but prefer the bottom area - kinda do their own thing. Very attractive pattern I think.

The Hastatus which I haven't had are supposed to be all over the tank and like to school. Read that about the Pygmys too. This is a really nice article about them to help you decide the personality and behavior of the fish you might prefer. It was accurate from what I have in my fish.
Corydoras in Miniature

Wow, that looks amazing. Such an interesting rocks scape, too. Gorgeous!!

Dumb question: for the carpet, what is HC?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Nice aquascape! It's going to look incredible when it fills in.

I got carpal tunnel just thinking about you planting all of those HC sprigs. Nice outcome!

Thanks! It was good exercise for my hand. Been a while so I need it lol!

Nice plant selection. That tank will be lovely. How many hours a day are the lights on?

The light was on for 8 hours a day. I split it with the timer. 4 hours in the morning, and 4 hours in the evening. That way I still see the tank when I get home from work.

Lovely materials to work with. Yay, what a fun tank to make!

Simple is hard sometimes. One of may favorite fish right now would be (other than Boraras Brigittae) would be Microdevario Kubotai. Might eat the shrimp since there isn't too much for "cover" unless you got Amanos or let the DBT get a little long, but then you might be concerned with scale.

The Kubotai are really busy guys unless you prefer a calm more tranquil tank something else might be better.

I think a little bunch of Dwarf Cories.

The Habrosus I got recently are too cute and tiny swim up and around, seldom above the center of the tank move all around but prefer the bottom area - kinda do their own thing. Very attractive pattern I think.

The Hastatus which I haven't had are supposed to be all over the tank and like to school. Read that about the Pygmys too. This is a really nice article about them to help you decide the personality and behavior of the fish you might prefer. It was accurate from what I have in my fish.
Corydoras in Miniature

Thanks a lot for the info! Cories are a great idea. I'm think a scholl of 5 would be nice. I used to have the Pygmys type. I think I'll try a different type of Cories this time.

Wow, that looks amazing. Such an interesting rocks scape, too. Gorgeous!!

Dumb question: for the carpet, what is HC?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Autumnsky snailed it :)!

Nice aquascape! It's going to look incredible when it fills in.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll keep it simple and not turn into a jungle like other tanks I have [emoji23]

Very nice! Did me a nano tank with dragon rock.

Thanks! Pressured CO2 of course. I used to DIY CO2 a while back. Very good experience but when I switch to the pressured setup, I could not go back. Worked better for my laziness [emoji23]

I have diffuser hooked up to a Deluxe Aquatek CO2 regulator and a 20lb tank...on timer

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a recommended operating psi for the ADA diffuser? How do you think they compare with the GLA Atomic Diffusers? They are certainly prettier.

Back
Top Bottom