17 gal acrylic tank from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elpezloco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone im making an acrylic tank that measures 24Lx14Wx12H and its roughly 17 gallons. That tank is ready cause I glued all the parts that are in 1/4 inch thick plus the back that is black. Im thinking in adding a hang on filter because I already have it but what do you think about it? Its suitable for tanks up to 55 I believe. Plus I was wondering about using leds of course but specially the Par 38 bulbs. But I dont know if they really work for any corals. Because i want to use them cause they are not a headache for me to be working on canister and drivers and all that. But how many do you think I should get? Or what do you recommend me to use for my lighting? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 503.jpg
    503.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 167
That's really cool that you made it yourself. The HOB filter works, it's not the best, but that's usually the case for larger tanks. You should be fine w/ it on your size tank. I believe 2 par 38 bulbs would be sufficient for most corals. I'll be following your build. Good luck :).

So should I buy a 14K rated Par38 light bulb or a 20K? I want to have a variety of corals and not have to worry about color temp!!

Update

So finally my tank is ready and waiting for the cycle to be done. Just as today I filled the tank with water. But it was a struggle through the whole week. During the weekend I managed to cut the top of the tank for support. Tuesday I went to my LFS and bought 3 pie large pieces of live rock that weighted like 24 lbs. I bought the live sand and everything but we figure that the tank looked too big where we wanted to have the tank placed. So we had to search for a table Wednesday. So I left the LR curing with the distilled water. And then I found the table on Marshalls with my mother. After that we decided to make a sump for it and not going with the hang on filter. And after few more trips to my LFS it is finally almost done with the prep work. But I think I need a little more LR because it looks like of empty in some parts of the tank.
1st the top of the tank
2nd the 4 boxes of water
3rd where we first thought it was going to be placed but it looked too big
4th the live rock on the water with salt already mixed

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Update

And this is how it looks right now. Plus it has not cleared yet. Im gonna run tests tomorrow. Plus next steps are the par 38 led lights, protein skimmer and may be a cooling fan.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 127
It looks nice! Is that your sump in the woven basket??! That's so cute!

Yeah!! We thought i was gonna look ugly just a small tank and we tried to disguised the sump with it!! Im glad you like it.

Another update on tests

Here is the tank with the water all cleared up. Plus I bought two black perculas and the tests a ran today. And I am still waiting to get my lights because of budget reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 99
the acrylic tank was about slightly less than $100
the live rock was $84 ($3.50/lb)
Live Sand $40 (20lbs)
Water $12
Plumbing and overflow box about $25
Salt $22
Additives $20
I had the water pump from another tank
The table was $150
Basket for sump was about $5
For a total of almost $450 and counting. :( I know its a lot but some things here in Puerto Rico are a lot more expensive.

elpezloco said:
the acrylic tank was about slightly less than $100
the live rock was $84 ($3.50/lb)
Live Sand $40 (20lbs)
Water $12
Plumbing and overflow box about $25
Salt $22
Additives $20
I had the water pump from another tank
The table was $150
Basket for sump was about $5
For a total of almost $450 and counting. :( I know its a lot but some things here in Puerto Rico are a lot more expensive.

No that's not bad at all. I think your doing good on cost.

If you have two clowns in there make sure you keep up on the water changes until its cycled. I love the tank and sump! You're doing a great job!

Thank You!! You are really kind. And that is one question I was going to ask you...about water changes during the cycling process. So how often should I make PWC and how much water to change?? Plus I was searching for the leds and found a site that actually builds the leds custom by one picking the colors and all that. Its called buildmyled.com. It sounds very cool but i dont know if a 24" fixture would give me all the light requirements I want. Or what optics to choose (30, 60 or 90)?? Because I want to have montiporas and may be sps corals too.

Hopefully someone else will chime in about the lighting. im not good at that. lol!!

Ok- so for a fish in cycle, test your ammonia and nitrites. You will want to keep them under .25. You will need to test daily. As far as how much water to change, that depends on what your readings are. If they are .50 then you need to do at least at 50% pwc to bring them down to .25. If they are 1.0 then a 50% change brings them to .50 and then your have to do another 50% change to get them down to .25.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does makes sense. So Im gonna make a test and a water change too. Cause I know the ammo is between the .25 and the .50!! Thank you.

water test

These are the water tests. But is it normal for the nitrite to be the same every time I make the test?? The PH has stayed the same and the ammo almost at .50 and the nitrate I think is more in 5.0

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 70
My ammo test

Well I made a 50% WC last friday and since then I made the water tests one the day after and wednesday and both ammo were at 0ppm nitrite at 0ppm and nitrate are not at 0ppm but are between 5 to 10ppm. Do you think that if i make another water change at my nitrates get lower is it cycled yet??

elpezloco said:
Well I made a 50% WC last friday and since then I made the water tests one the day after and wednesday and both ammo were at 0ppm nitrite at 0ppm and nitrate are not at 0ppm but are between 5 to 10ppm. Do you think that if i make another water change at my nitrates get lower is it cycled yet??

I'd say its probably cycled. If the last water change you did was on 11/14 then I would run the tests again, then go from there. If its 0 ammonia and nitrites and all you have is nitrates, then your cycled! Do another water change if you feel like you want to get the nitrates lower.

Back
Top Bottom