18 " bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i've read that for a planted aquarium you should have 2-3 watts per gallon. i have a 55 gallon. i have a dual hood with 18" bulbs. my problem is that i cant find any 18 inch bulbs over 15 watts. any suggestions or comments?

The wattage rating of a bulb is linked to it's length, which is why you can't (and won't) find any 18" bulbs greater than 15 watts. To get more wpg you will have to add to or replace your light fixture. 2 or 3 wpg is actually a pretty significant difference and you'll want to decide now which you want to shoot for. 2 wpg will allow you to grow most plants, except for high light plants, won't require CO2, and might require some ferts. 3 wpg will almost definitely require CO2 and ferts, but you'll be able to grow almost any plant out there.

For 2 wpg on a 55, a 2x65 watt compact fluorescent fixture would be perfect, and these come in 48" lengths.

BTW, I have a 55 with 2 wpg and no CO2, and I just posted a pic of it in the planted aquascaping forum.

In order to up your wattage you will need to look at a different type of lighting if u want to keep it in the same space. I am guessing that your hood has t-8 flourescent bulbs in it. There are several other options including t-5 high output flourescents, compact flourescents, and metal halide. Lighting is one of the more expensive parts of the hobby, but probably the most important factor in successfully growing plants. Without proper lighting, there is little to nothing you will be able to do to keep plants alive.

Back
Top Bottom