180 fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
So supposedly a guy from craiglist is bringing me a 180 gallon tonite for 175 bucks. Im kind of torn between using it for my porcupine puffer or a silver arowana. If i do decide to go fowlr the stock would be my puffer and I would probably get a blue tang , a dwarf lion and maybe a yellow tang or a trigger. My concern is a Pwc that's 45 gallons a week. I get 20 gallons a week from the Lfs now but i won't be able to afford 45 a week or be able to transport it home. Would i be able to do 20 gallons weekly with that stock in the tank and still have a heathy tank? Also would that be overstocked or just right with the fish listed? Thanks

Why not make your own RO/DI water and mix the salt yourself? It is a piece of cake. Here is a good unit for $72 that makes 150 gal a day. I bought this one. You can save $10 by getting the 100 gal a day.

PureWaterClub.com

I can make close to 10 gallons just in the time it takes me to do a PWC and clean up the tank. A lot depends on the water pressure at you house. If you order that unit, order both the float valve and the cut off valve (i missed that one and wish I had it). If you get them, you can turn it on and forget about it. Once the container is full it will shut itself off.

I haven't had to replace any yet but the portable unit I have I believe is much less than the bigger units the hard core guys like Leo use. :) LOL Either way, it would still be cheaper than buying from an LFS not to mention a lot less hassle.

Ok I'll check it out . It will be a while till I get it going anyways. If I go with the stock list I mentioned . Would it be weekly or bi weekly pwcs or does it just depend

I am pretty new here so don't take my word for it but..... I think weekly PWC of about 10% is good. With that, you don't need to dose much of anything in a reef. Of course you are going fowlr so the dosing wouldn't apply. I have seen lots of threads claiming they go months without PWC and have for years. I think those people have all the equipment and know how to keep it running great. For someone who doesn't eat, drink or sleep this hobby, I think you will do well with weekly. Just my opinion.

I plan to have a sump tank maybe a 55 gallon with a fuge and go all out with the filtration . But Im still torn about the arowana I been waiting to get one of those

Just got the tank in the house. He had 4 holes on the back wall drilled for filters . What's the best way to plug them up?

I'm just gonna add something here. I don't know if 180g will be enough for an adult arowana. I know others will disagree but I think at least 250...

I have to agree. I've heard min 300 (96"). An adult Arowana can grow to 32"-36", and a 180 is 72", so your talking about a tank that will only be twice the lenth of the full size fish..... Just enough room to circle around, but not really swim.

Maybe if I do go the arowana route I'll get a jardini. Their min size is 6 foot by 2 and a half ft so it's not that different. But in still undecided. Any tips for the holes?

Ok just go to any plumbing supply store? Maybe home depot will have them and some acrylic sheets.

If the holes are right under the top frame is there still enough room to attach the bulkheads? Here is a pic

That is pretty tight. From the pic, this looks like the inside of the tank looking out..... I would flat-spot the top of the piece on the outside to just fit under the frame, liberally apply some aquarium silicon to the gaskets, and fill the gap between the tank & bulkhead with silicon as well. Tighten firmly, but be careful not to over-tighten (it is plastic). If you used enough, you should have some squish out.... use this to run a bead around the bulkhead with your finger.

Ok thanks. Yes that a pic from inside. I was starting to worry that it wouldn't work.I'm going to try to find bulkheads tomorrow . If by a chance it doesn't would i be able to silicon PVC pipes in there?

Back
Top Bottom