180 gal buildup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, since space wasn't really a problem, I just used PVC with a union between the skimmer and the pump (Mag 5). Since the skimmer has a 3/4" venturi opening, you could get a double threaded 3/4" to 1/2" bushing and screw the pump right into the venturi. Be very careful not to overtighten it though as the threaded part of the venturi will crack very easily...that's why I didn't put the skimmer outside the sump. You could do that too...drill the sump and run the pump/skimmer external with the returns plumbed to dump back into the sump.
Logan J

Filled the 180 up with SW today. 4 1/2" to 5" sand bed is in. About 140lbs of rock is in. Little Giant closed loop pump is running. Ran into trouble with the overflow...U tubes didn't really fit so I'll have to make some mods there. As soon as I get that worked out, I'll have the sump and the big pump working. Should have pics some time this week. 3 emerald crabs and 1 sally lightfoot hitched in on the rock...anyone know if they can tolerate temps in the mid 70's? Heater isn't online yet.
Logan J

Well, it's up and running. Put the lights on today, arranged the rock, and epoxied the loose pieces. I have a few problems though... I had to choke the pump down a little as the one overflow wouldn't handle the flow. I'm also having fits with bubbles. The drains from the overflow are like Niagra Falls in the sump. I have the lines run about 3" below the surface of the water. Skimmer is putting a few micro bubbles in also...not too bad though. The water is running through a baffle and into the pump intake chamber which is full of micro bubbles. Hence the tank is also full of micro bubbles. Since no one piped up with an answer on the question about whether the emeralds and sally lightfoots could handle the cool temps...yes, they can. All were seen today alive and well.
I'm getting a little frustrated with Icecap...or their products anyway. I'm hoping I am just having some bad luck though. My old 660 quit. One of the used ones I bought, supposedly all in good working order, will light the bulbs for about 2 seconds and go out. The new one I ordered for a customer lit the bulbs once and started blowing fuses after that. Somebody tell me it's just a streak of bad luck. Anyway, the 180 is running only actinics for now. Maybe that'll help with the coraline growth. Turned 2 yellow tail damsels loose in there today. Ammonia/nitrite levels were 0. Nitrates were at .05. Phosphate also 0. Most of the rock that went in there had been in the store tanks for a while so it should all be well cured. Anyway, here's a few pics.
Logan J

where is the pump choked down? If its before the impeller then you could be getting come cavatation in the impeller chamber causing even more microbubbles into the tank. If its after the imeller then that should not be the problem.

I experenced this when i put my little giant on my tank.

The water level in the sump where teh bulk head looks just a few inches above the top of the bulkhead. Are you sure the pump is not causing a small cyclone and sucking in air.

Im kind of curoius why you would have macro bubbles on the pump side of the sump even with the baffles.

That is one of the problems. Some dummy didn't put a valve on the pressure side of the pump. Never though I'd have to choke the pump down any. I will add one. You can see the micro bubbles in the pump chamber though. The velocity of the water coming into the sump is pretty high. It churns that whole part of the sump into a mass of bubbles. If I run the water level much lower, the pump will start to get air. It almost does now at the end of the day. The tank was evaporating 2g per day before the lights and fans went on. Maybe I should add an elbow to the bulkhead to get the pump intake closer to the bottom of the sump? I guess the darn thing really needs a larger sump. Or maybe an addition to the existing one. If I run the water level any higher in the sump, it won't contain the drain back when the pump is off.
Logan J

are the lines from the tank going into the sump Underwater or are they above water? If you put them so they end under the water level will the bubble production drop?

They are about 3" under water. If I leave them above the water, the noise level is too high. Under the water, with all the air coming down the pipes, they really churn the water up. I thought about adding another overflow to the tank. Maybe that would reduce the velocity of the water coming into the sump and not keep it so churned up? The box that's on there is at max capacity...1 1/2" siphon and two 1" drains. Maybe another similar sized overflow and smaller siphon tubes on both of them?
Logan J

The 180 is coming along well. Sorry for the lack of pics...I'll really try to remember to take the camera with me on Thursday when I go back over there. Of course, with the kind of pics I take, you might be better off just using your imagination :) .
Still having micro bubble problems. I may have to add some more baffles. I also thought about putting a sponge between the sump chambers, but I wonder if it will start churning out nitrates? I might be able to get the lady who feeds the fish to pull it out and rinse it in tap water every day. Any ideas would be welcomed on that subject.
I've added a few fish. There wasn't really a cycle to speak of as all the rock came out of the store tanks and most of it had been there for a while. I never got any readable ammonia/nitrite with Seachem test kits. The first inhabitants were a pair of small yellow tail damsels. A small (1") tomato clown went in next. They all did well for a week with no changes in water parameters. I then added three big (2 1/2") green chromis to the mix. They are doing well so far. A coral beauty is in quarantine at the store and will probably be the next addition. I had intended to add a few bangaii cardinals, but I just read that adult males will fight each other so maybe that isn't a good idea. I emailed Bang Guy to ask his opinion and would be interested in your views as well. Anyway, here's a list of possible additions in the order they will be added. If anyone has suggestions for other additions or reasons why any of these would not do well, I'd like to hear them. Thanks.
6- Bangaii Cardinals (not sure about this...want a school of small somethings though)
1- Coral Beauty Angel
1- Lemon Peel Angel
1- Jawfish?
1- Small wrasse (Scotts or maybe a 6 line)
1- Purple Tang
I'd rather stick with fish that won't get huge. I know the purple tang will get large, but the rest of them shouldn't get too big. I want to keep the bio load reasonable as I will be visiting this tank, after it's established, once a week at the most.
Logan J

my 2 cents...

I'd add 1 baffle at an angle, With that flow I think you are blowing right through the existing baffles. Meaning that the water is not getting a chance to settle down and the bubbles are not disapating.

Also it looks like the skimmer is pulling water from the same side as well as pumping into there. Maybe extend the intake and output tubes? You may be pushing bubbles thru the baffles that way. If this is not how its setup then I'm sorry. Trying to cipher the pics. :)

The angled baffle is a good idea, but I can't put a baffle there because of the skimmer and heater. I wanted to run the skimmer external, but the venturi was cracked so no go there. I could extend the skimmer returns and that might help some. I had thought about adding two more baffles between the existing ones and the pump intake. I also thought about putting a sponge between the baffles, but I wonder if it would start to crank out nitrates when it became bio active. I could tell the lady who takes care of the tank to pull the sponge every day and rinse it in tap water...but that might be overkill. Maybe add the angled baffle between the existing baffles and the pump intake? Something to think about...
Logan J

Sponge would probably be ok, yea it will add nitrates but this is a FOwLR. I don't think it would hurt too much.

I looked at all the pics and just saw the intake pump and PVC for the skimmer so yea I understand why you can't put it there. If you wanted to add a baffle knowing this I'd go close to the pump intake and put a similar setup there as you have existing.

I do have one more little idea, Have you tried moving the pipes/tubes from the overflow closer to the wall oppposite the baffles? Meaning if you give it more space between where the water comes down from the tank and the baffles themselves then you might get rid of more of the bubbles. Not sure of what splash back you many have from that but a partical cover might fix that.

GL

Have you tried adding a 90 degree pvc and try keeping it close to the bottom? I did and it helped me eliminate most of my microbubbles, only if it is in the water. Otherwise it could be sucking air from the housing, fittings, somewhere along the flow.

Just trying to give my 2 cents.

I had thought about adding the 90* also. I didn't know if it would help any, but since it worked for you, I'll try that also. I don't think it's sucking any air from a fitting anywhere as you can see the micro bubbles in the pump chamber of the sump. Thanks for the input.
Logan J

More pics of the 180

Here's a few pics of the 180 at the eyecare center. Tank is doing great so far! Here is the stock list as best I can remember. Anyone see any potential problems?
Tomato Clown
Royal Gramma
3 Green Chromis
2 Yellowtail Damsels
Six Line Wrasse
Foxface
Yellow Eye Tang
Hippo Tang
Coral Beauty
Jawfish (can't remember which one)
Sorry about the pics...camera isn't the best.

Logan J

Excellent job!! (y) The tank looks great, I see no problems with the stock list. It has been real cool watching this project from star to--?finish?.

Back
Top Bottom