180 Gallon FOWLR w/ Inverts stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrightyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
So in the not so distant future, I plan to get one of these and here is what the stocking may or may not look like. It should be a peaceful tank who should not harm the inverts.
2x Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
1x Spotbreast Angelfish
7x Dispar Anthias
1x Court Jester Goby
1x Firefish
1x Foxface Lo
6x Blue/Green Reef Chromis
6x Spotted (Pajama) Cardinalfish
As for the inverts:
24x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
10x Astraea Turbo Snail
10x Nassarius Snail
4x Peppermint Shrimp
6x Emerald Crab
4x Porcelain Crab
3x Banded Coral Shrimp
So what do you think? Good stocking? Too much inverts, bad mixes of fish? Thanks for any input.

I would do a tang, like a blue or yellow. But only one, because more would lead to agression.

Thanks for the replies! I actually currently have a juvenile yellow tang in my 29 gallon who i will be either selling back to a store or moving to that tank, but if i added him would that be overcrowding? I like the rule 1 inch per gallon and those come out to 177.5 at maximum size for them all. Yellow Tang grows to at most 8 inches causing 185.5/ 180 gallons. Not horrible or anything but I was just wondering. I am aiming for a peaceful community tank, and as long as Tangs are the last one added, they should be peaceful right? I once added a tang to my tank and he never touched the peaceful clowns that were in there. I tried adding a Flame Angel and he harassed it to its death. So yeah. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for the replies! I actually currently have a juvenile yellow tang in my 29 gallon who i will be either selling back to a store or moving to that tank, but if i added him would that be overcrowding? I like the rule 1 inch per gallon and those come out to 177.5 at maximum size for them all. Yellow Tang grows to at most 8 inches causing 185.5/ 180 gallons. Not horrible or anything but I was just wondering. I am aiming for a peaceful community tank, and as long as Tangs are the last one added, they should be peaceful right? I once added a tang to my tank and he never touched the peaceful clowns that were in there. I tried adding a Flame Angel and he harassed it to its death. So yeah. Thoughts on that?

Inch per gallon rule doesn't really apply to sw and is generally a poor rule. However most of the fish you want are smaller other than the foxface. I think you'd be ok with the yellow tang too. Just add him last. Maybe pick the anthias or the chromis actually. You have 3 schooling fish and IMO chromis are boring. I'd stick to anthias and cardinals but that's me haha.

I had chromis in my tank, 3, and they were VERY timid things. But other than that I liked the blue on them, and thats why i thought to add them. Also yeah, three schooling fish is kind of a lot but I thought why not. If you could suggest a replacement blue peaceful community fish that would be great :) I was also thinking maybe a sandsifting goby, like 2 diamond watchman gobies? I love those guys, but I am pretty sure any sand sifting goby would make me happy.

Very light on the clean up crew...

No issues with the tang and overall light stocking for a 180 gallon tank.

You think it is light? Haha I thought I may be overdoing it with the hermit crabs xD but as for the fish I know it is a small group for a 180

IMO, the inch per gallon rule isnt really a good way to measure how a fish will like its new home. A maroon clownfish and a juvinile yellow tang are both about the same size, but the tang will swim far more than a clownfish will. So i would not worry about it in terms of overcrowding.

I try using it to determine to try to give fish ample swimming space to make them happy. but a good counterexample is you wont put a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank. But yeah thats it i just want to make sure they aren't overcrowded and imo for bigger tanks, it works better. However it tends to understock so any advice or comments

I think for a 180g you are fine. You don't even need a CUC, so light or heavy stocking on that is whatever you want, IMO.

For who needs what space, I suggest you use liveaquaria.com Their suggested tank sizes tend to be larger than most other places, but you can't go wrong giving fish more room. Too little will cause stress and sometimes territorial problems.

I think for a 180g you are fine. You don't even need a CUC, so light or heavy stocking on that is whatever you want, IMO.

For who needs what space, I suggest you use liveaquaria.com Their suggested tank sizes tend to be larger than most other places, but you can't go wrong giving fish more room. Too little will cause stress and sometimes territorial problems.

That's what I always use for reference. And I tend to like clean up crews :) They are neat and keep the rock work tidy. But those fish and their personalities are fine? No conflicting ones in a normal setting? Thank you!. It is pretty pricey though. At cheapest i found them for 720 at both liveaquaria and vivid. 680 at blue (but they were not all stocked). Or do you think I should ask my LFS to order them for me and I buy it from them?

I'd get them locally if possible and not sure if you know, but dont stock them all at once. lol I just setup my 180g and added the fish in three waves, adding the next wave a few weeks after the previous. Gives the tank a chance to get settled as well as the fish.

i also agree that you are doing a good job at stocking, most people just go hog wild and plan on dozens and dozens of fish. lol

I'd get them locally if possible and not sure if you know, but dont stock them all at once. lol I just setup my 180g and added the fish in three waves, adding the next wave a few weeks after the previous. Gives the tank a chance to get settled as well as the fish.

i also agree that you are doing a good job at stocking, most people just go hog wild and plan on dozens and dozens of fish. lol
Yes I knew that. I was going to start with the chromis and pajama cardinals with all the inverts at once. then 2nd wave was anthias, goby, and firefish, then 3rd wave was wrasse, angel, and foxface. And yeah. I have seen people gone insane with stocking!

I was also thinking of throwing a butterflyfish into the mix. Like the one from nemo or any other type that would fit in my community

Personally I would steer clear of butterflys. I have a few established tanks and have recently tried FOUR and each one didnt make it. They are very very picky eaters and fragile fish. :-(

Thanks for the input. I don't like picky eaters. They are frustrating haha. Any other suggestions, or additions? I like fish :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom