18g (68lt) tank ok for German Blue Ram pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwakatoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, I'm really keen on stocking my currently cycling tank with a pair of GBRs, and maybe some community fish like cardinals and a sparkling gourami and or an Otocinclus or two.

Given the research tells me the minimum size tank for GBR pairs is 20g. Am I wrongly assuming that an 18g would still be ok? Here's a pic of my set up,

I'd appreciate any advice, tyia.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476435851.108274.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476435822.584188.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476435934.798919.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

As long as that's the only bottom dweller, I think it should be fine. Just watch them carefully though.

I kept in a 10 gallon (they were fry) and ended up keeping the breeding pair there with no issue till i got my 20 gallon, but i was only them two.

As long as that's the only bottom dweller, I think it should be fine. Just watch them carefully though.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for your responses guys

I wanted to add some Cardinal tetras which are at the top of the tank. But was also hoping to get an algae eater, unfortunately an oto might be too ground dwelling for that scenario. I'm wondering how you think a bristlenose could go in this situation? Or just leave it simple with the cardinals as top of tank attractions :)

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for your responses guys

I wanted to add some Cardinal tetras which are at the top of the tank. But was also hoping to get an algae eater, unfortunately an oto might be too ground dwelling for that scenario. I'm wondering how you think a bristlenose could go in this situation? Or just leave it simple with the cardinals as top of tank attractions :)
A bristlenose would be better IMO.

Should be ok. Just make sure you keep an eye on your water parameters. They are about as delicate as discus

Thanks RUBE and JoeMan. I'm definitely going to have to be consistent with small weekly water changes. Wish I had a bigger tank but I don't. One day!

Oh believe me. You'll end up getting more tanks. We all do [emoji23]

I have 4 now! But they are all small :(
I have this as a 68lt, then a 25lt, a 15lt and a 9ltr... Lol.
My next tank will be big!!!

Who cycles a tank with gbr??? New one... good luck;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Who cycles a tank with gbr??? New one... good luck;)

I don't think you have understood my thread. I'm cycling a tank without fish, and I'm planning my stock. The GBR will be the last to arrive on the scene once I have established parameters and a good consistent water quality.

I don't think you have understood my thread. I'm cycling a tank without fish, and I'm planning my stock. The GBR will be the last to arrive on the scene once I have established parameters and a good consistent water quality.

You are correct, I miss read, my b. I'd wait a few months anyways. Theyre fussy little cichlids

Attachments

• 1476585356821.jpg
    1476585356821.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 60
He's a looker huh?? Check out his albino gf..pm me if you want a great breeder that ships;)

Attachments

• 1476585706573.jpg
    1476585706573.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 60
Holy Dooley! 13!!!!! I have no words. How did you keep track of them?
Most of them were on timers. Water change days were Saturdays and Sundays. Most of my tanks were small. Now i only have a 75 gallon, 2 30 gallon and a 20 gallon long.

Back
Top Bottom