1st tank - Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blt831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
after a few months of co-owning an office 5 gallon betta tank, I've decided to set up my own tank. From reading the recommend information for newbies, my goal is a low light, low tech planted 20G. Planning on Java moss, Java ferns, anibus and crypts.

I bought this fixture:

Hagen Glo T5 HO Lighting System - Single - 24

but now I'm concerned that 24w will be too little light even for a low light tank.

I could return it and buy the Dual light one. However, then I'm concerned that 48W might be too much light leading to algae or needing a CO2 system which I'm trying to avoid for now.

Am I ok at 1WPG for this type of setup?

Well it's better to go by watts per square in. See my 10 gallon low-tech setup has 30 watts over it but yet it's only like 1.5wpg. It's weird, but when you get bigger and bigger tanks it goes more towards the normaly wpg then wp square inch. I do know that the 24 watt would most likely be too little. I was going to start a 20 gallon long setup and use a 60watt fixture for a medium light with little co2 added so I think that the 48 watt one would be alot better.

With a 20 gallon aquarium you should be fine. Just stick to the low light plants for the most part. Anubias, Crypts, Java Ferns, and Java Moss will be your best bets.

I would agree with Joy. That amount of light should be just fine over a 20 gallon tank. A HO T-5 with a good reflector puts out quite a bit of light.

or you can buy the double and use 1 bulb to start.Might save you a few bucks if you want to upgrade later.

Back
Top Bottom