1st Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I ran out today and bought my test kit. It's the Salt Water Master Liquid Test Kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Here are my levels. Keep in mind, just put the LR in on Saturday.

NH3: 2.0
NO3: 10
NO2: 5
pH: 7.8 (I took a bunch of water out Sat for the rock and replaced it with Tap water. I bought Seachem Marine Buffer at my LFS to help maintain the pH. I just added another dose to the water after my test. In about an hour it should be back up to 8.3)
Specific Gravity: 1.023
Salinity: 31

Do these results look normal for where I am in the cycle? I don't want to rush things, but I can't wait for my cycle to be finished so I can add my fishes :)

TIA

Wes

Thanks, Atari.

Just ran another pH test. Yup, 8.2...right on the money! I guess with anything, there is the potential for "over testing"

I want a FOWLR tank. Thats all that I know for right now. I know that I want the following:

BTA w/Maroon Clown
Red Scooter Blenny
Coral Banded Shrimp
Some snails, maybe a starfish
Really like Snowflake eels too

Would like a Purple Tang (but they are pretty expensive)

The thing is most of the fish that I see in the store that I want, are more agressive than what I have listed above. I didn't think that I wanted to start out with an agressive tank.

Just looked up the snowfalke. Says can be housed with some anenomes and coral but no crustaceans. Or any fish that can fit into its mouth. I'd imagine the same would apply for any of the eels.

Most of the agressive fish that I have seen have that caveat....if it can fit in it's mouth, it will eat it. Kind of a fear I have about getting a Lionfish. I don't want to go to bed with 6 fish and wake up with a really fat and happy lion :). I know they wouldn't eat them all at once.

I think for that reason it's important to make the decision about agressive/community tank from the outset. IMO it's not a good idea to mix the two.

austinsdad said:
Can eels live with shrimp and snails?

I have seen eels in the wild take out fish that were at least twice their mouth size. Here is a spotted morey I saw on a night dive in Cozumel this summer. The Tang was a good 7-8". I think any small fish would go bye bye.
Don't think I want one in my tank 8O , but they are cool.

Back
Top Bottom