2.5 gallon Invertebrate Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I feel like setting up my 2.5 gallon for an algae/shrimp tank. I have a few questions about essentials, plants, etc. First off, I set it up by a well lighted window and put some natural river rock in there to start the algae. Since it would be inside, I didn't worry about a heater. Would the algae provide enough oxygenation and filteration in the water to not need a filter/airator. After all that, my choices are red cherry shrimp or blueberry shrimp.
Thanks

Putting it in a well-lighted window would make too much algae IMO. I would just get a filter and toss the algae idea. While it is a neat concept, I think the result is a complete algae take-over. Could you show us the type or give the species name of the blueberry shrimp? There is a bunch of of misnaming with such shrimp.

I don't understand why your focused on growing algae. You don't want too much light but just enough to grow your plants. I have sagittaria subulata, marimo moss balls and java ferb in a 5 gallon by my window. With some wisteria floating (only been in for 2 weeks). I still get small amounts of algae growing. And thats with weekly water changes and gravel vac plus only 5 hrs if daylight. Focus on getting your plants going strong before adding shrimp

I don't understand why your focused on growing algae. You don't want too much light but just enough to grow your plants. I have sagittaria subulata, marimo moss balls and java ferb in a 5 gallon by my window. With some wisteria floating (only been in for 2 weeks). I still get small amounts of algae growing. And thats with weekly water changes and gravel vac plus only 5 hrs if daylight. Focus on getting your plants going strong before adding shrimp

I believe the point was for algae to be the filtration system, quite a bit like people who have heavily-planted tanks and no filter. Algae takes up toxins, and theoretically it could work. However, growing enough algae to keep the filtration going would result in a complete take-over.

It seems I will have a change of plans. Instead of relying on natural algae growth for maintenance, I will plant the tank. I was thinking of moderate to high light plants 2watts-3watts. Cherry shrimp or blueberry shrimp would inhabit the tank. This is really a new thing, these heavily planted tanks. So, if anyone has nano heavily planted invertebrate tanks, or knows about them. I could use the help. This is an extra, but would the cherry/blueberry shrimp breed in a tank that small? Sorry for the questions, want to get back into setting up some aquariums.

Definitely focus on plants. The shrimp will eat algae in any case. What plants your able to grow will depend on how much light your tank gets. I definitely wouldn't put it in direct sunlight. The temperature swing would be too great when the sun is out. Are you going to have any other light on your tank.
I haven't kept shrimp yet but a few rcs are on my new years shopping list. Theres no reason why they shouldn't breed in a 2.5. I don't know anything about blueberry shrimp but rcs by all accounts are easy to keep and breed

It seems I will have a change of plans. Instead of relying on natural algae growth for maintenance, I will plant the tank. I was thinking of moderate to high light plants 2watts-3watts. Cherry shrimp or blueberry shrimp would inhabit the tank. This is really a new thing, these heavily planted tanks. So, if anyone has nano heavily planted invertebrate tanks, or knows about them. I could use the help. This is an extra, but would the cherry/blueberry shrimp breed in a tank that small? Sorry for the questions, want to get back into setting up some aquariums.

The RCS would definitely breed in a 2.5. Could you tell me the species name of blueberry shrimp?

As for a nano planted invert tank, what you'll want is fast-growing plants. Hornwort and duckweed are two examples of excellent ammonia and nitrate gobblers.

Hi,
As far as the bluebery shrimp"Caridina sp. blue", interbreeding would result in dislikable colors as I have heard. The other species I thought that might work would be the RCS and Bumblebee shrimp. I have to figure out the lighting, looking for a decent light that wont fry the tank. Im going to moniter the temperature to make sure there are no drastic changes. I'm going to get a red sea nano filter. AS far as plants - Hornwort, Java/Christmas moss, Marimo moss, baby tears, dwarf hairgrass, and a micro sword. That might be to heavily planted though. Thanks

Hi,
As far as the bluebery shrimp"Caridina sp. blue", interbreeding would result in dislikable colors as I have heard. The other species I thought that might work would be the RCS and Bumblebee shrimp. I have to figure out the lighting, looking for a decent light that wont fry the tank. Im going to moniter the temperature to make sure there are no drastic changes. I'm going to get a red sea nano filter. AS far as plants - Hornwort, Java/Christmas moss, Marimo moss, baby tears, dwarf hairgrass, and a micro sword. That might be to heavily planted though. Thanks

OK. If the blueberry shrimp are a Caridina, they should be fine with RCS. However, from my experience Caridinas prefer larger tanks and won't breed nearly as readily in small tanks. Plus, in such a small tank, with a prolific breeder such as RCS, space may run out quickly if you have 2 species in there. Honestly with that size tank I would say 1 species would be better. Two could work, but you will constantly be rehoming shrimp.

And, IMO there is no such thing as a shrimp tank that is too heavily planted (y)

I've decided on RCs only and will find a supplier online. If anyone knows of a well known company that would be great. I heard stories of dyed ghost shrimp.
Thanks, realized that I wasn't the only one with 2.5 gallon threads, their really popular.

I bought my RCS from fishfarmerjohn on ebay. I was very happy with the quality of the shrimp and the service. Good prices also.

Update,
Hers the hard scape with water. I guess technically not a hard scape. The Eco complete said to not wash before hand so I didn't, but after some various forums most people wash it. Due to the murky water it comes in, thus my tank is murky:eek:. Hopefully it will clear up by morning. Going to get plants tomorrow, thanks to precycled tropical tank help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 77
Should have posted two at once, wonder why it didn't.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 83
Forgot to mention,
Heater is temporary, new one should arrive tomorrow. Once temp stabilizes thermometer is out.

I never should go into another lfs when they get their plant shipment. Ended up spending $75 on various plants. After planting the tank, I was left with so many plants my head was hurting:facepalm:. I setup a temporary fix to my problem, I think. This is straying off the topic of inverts, but will two regular I think T-12 or T-8 regular lights suffice in a 38 gallon with moderate light plants. Its a long shot I know, I wasn't prepared. I think its around 1.7-2 watts per gallon if I am correct. Ill post a pic of each tank when I have time. THe RCS are postponed for right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom