2.5 Gallon Tank Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I have a 65 gallon tank cycling at the moment (almost done!). While I was getting things together, I found an awesome little 2.5 gallon tank from the '60's or '70's with chrome on each corner and a slate bottom. At the moment, I'm using it to keep excess Java ferns and a few snails that snuck in with them.

What I would like to do eventually is set up a little desktop scape in it. I haven't been able to find much information on tanks this small so I wanted to ask around here for advice. I would probably want more of a planted tank, but with a creatures (shrimp, I guess?) in the mix as well. I'm up for trying about anything, so any ideas, links, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Andy

I'm doing the same thing with a 2.5 I bought last year. I made my own filter for it that is completely under the gravel except for the intake. The water pump that powers it heats the tank in the mid- 70s.

I plan on have some snails (most likely pond because they snuck in on plants like yours). And shrimp either RCS or Amano, I haven't read a lot about Amano which is why I'm still undecided.

Attachments

• image-2767618565.jpg
    image-2767618565.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 268
Would neons work in a 2.5? Because I have a small school of three in my 20 long, mayb I'll transfer them if it's not too small

Wow, thanks so much for the replies! What kind of equipment would I need to keep something like this going? Are there any decent filters, etc. for small tanks like this? From what I've read, 2.5 gallons is small for most kinds of fish. Would something like 3-5 tetras be too much? Or would adequate filtration take care of that? Thanks again!

The neons bio-load is very small, so in that aspect theyd be ok. As far as size idk, maybe three would be okay. I have a single compact fluorescent bulb on a regular desk lamp (I think its a 16 watt made by marineland). I made my own filter using tubing, water pump, and parts from an old filter. There are nano hang on filters, but I have a glass top so I don't use them. But I'm sure you could find one

What about a betta they naturally live in warm shallow water pond so I think it would be ok for one . Also they are beautiful and interesting to watch . I have a blue and red crown tail that seems to have taken an interest in me . I love him!

Don't put tetras of any type in a 2.5 gallon tank. It is essentially torture, even if the fish seem happy, they may not be. A Red Sea Deco Art filter can be found on amazon.com for 15 or so bucks with shipping included. I have two and they do a great job for tanks under 3 gallons. If I were you I would stick with the shrimp. In a 2.5 you could have 10 or so comfortably. I don't think any fish should be in there, even a betta is pushing it.

Does anyone have any good resources on keeping aquarium shrimp that they'd recommend? This is something that's totally new to me, but I like the sound of it. I found a good filter for it a couple minutes ago, thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom