2.5 Planted Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puckhog429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Attached a vid because i did not fell like taking pics and typing everything out. Please give suggestions. I did hear that cryps melt when you first plant them but this looks worse than what i expected.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Crypts can melt and often times the entire plant melts away leaving only the roots in the substrate. Just leave it alone and in a few weeks the plant will start sending up new leaves that are acclimated to your water.

Can you get a closer shot of the crypts and algae? It's hard to tell from the video precisely what you are describing. I will say though that when a crypt wants to throw a hissy fit about something, it can potentially loose all of its leaves in the processes. They always recover, especially in the environment that you have them in (good light, root tabs, etc).

As an aside, I personally think that a 2.5g is pretty small for a platy, much less 2. Do you have any plants to get them into a bigger tank?

Yes i have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon and the platies are only in the tank for a couple of weeks to produce waste. I plan on getting more plants and i have driftwood soaking. In the end i plan on having i mildly planted tank with a Halfmoon betta and 3 to 5 cherry shrimp. Thanks for the advice

Was mostly worried about the one leaf in back that looks like it is rotting. Thanks

Attachments

• image-2888965841.jpg
    image-2888965841.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image-4233611187.jpg
    image-4233611187.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 54
Just snip that leaf off. Leaves do die and rot and if it's only one it's nothing to worry about. Just remove it instead of letting it finish rotting in the tank.

Here is a closeup of the anubias nana which i was also worried about because of all the algae on the leaves.

Attachments

• image-967814704.jpg
    image-967814704.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
Is the tank fairly new? You appear to have diatoms which is very normal in new setups. They eventually will run their course but are extremely unsightly. You can just rub the leaves between your fingers as diatoms come off easily but they will come back quite quickly. One other option is Nerite snails, actually just one for that tank. They can't breed in freshwater and they love diatoms. They also eat bio-film, green dust algae, and green spot algae.

And i actually have 5 nerite snails in the 10 gal but i was told that they will eat my plants. Should i put one in though? And yes the plants were planted about a week ago after the tank was cycled.

Nerites won't eat your plants, so no worries there. It's kind of odd for all the leaves to fall off an anubias. A pic would probably help.

Also, the melting crypt looks like pretty typical crypt melt to me.

I keep around 40 in my 220g which has tons of plants, they are perfectly safe. I only lost all the leaves off an anubia once when I moved one attached to a DW I wanted in the high light 220g. The light was too intense and all the leaves fell off but left the rhizome and in about 3 months new leaves started growing again.

The plant on the left had a bunch of leaves on it 30 mins ago. When i was snipping my crypt i took the scissors and barely tapped each anubias plant to see if the leaves were not rotting like the crypt and all the leaves fell off. Thanks

Attachments

• image-2508273885.jpg
    image-2508273885.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 47
That is weird, never heard of that before but the roots look good still so attach it where you want it and leave it alone. If the rhizome is good it will eventually grow leaves back. Is there still a rhizome left on the other side of the roots?

Back
Top Bottom