2 critters (I think) in tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warthog76za

Aquarium Advice Freak
The other morning, I switched the tank light on earlier than usual and saw one of this: Coenagrion species larva
and then one like this but all black : Sympetrum spec larva

later that day, since the tank was due a PWC, I saw no sign of the 2, Im sure they have dug themselves in somewhere but it also seems they come out when the tank and living room is completely dark. Should I get rid of them when I next see them swimming around or what?

I would get rid of them. I would rather not have bugs in my tank, especially how they are gonna leech of your fish and give you a bigger ammonia footprint.

Yep, some bugs are dangerous and some aren't, but I would get them out just to be safe. Who wants bugs in their tank anyway.

--Adeeb

I have some little tiny bugs in my tank they look kind of like ghost shrimp. Tonight found fireworms in my tank and they look like centipedes. Researched it and says extremely painful to touch them

Oh my god... seriously... I would have a panic attack and scream like a little girl if I saw that. What did you do???

When I saw the 2nd one I thought my tank was invaded by an alien...seeing that bug in all black, looked VERY creepy (even its movement), since my wife was standing next to me, I couldnt give off my girlish scream (most men have one hahahaha) and all that came out of my mouth was a macho, "What the ****?!?":p

Caught one of them this morning.....the alien looking one :p to catch it...was a nightmare, didn't expect it to be lightning fast, now take this into consideration, Im having to catch it with the net.....and my hand and fishnet being chased by the swordtails and guppys probably believing ive gotten them a new feeding gadget, since trying to catch the bug, I also had to see that I dont fish some of them in the net as well:uhoh:

Hah! What fun! :D They'd probably definitely eat your fish. I had no idea that so many insects could turn up in our tanks!

Here is the pic of one of those critters that was hiding in the tank.

Attachments

• Visser 029.JPG
    Visser 029.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 83
  • Visser 028.JPG
    Visser 028.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 70
2nd critter is now also gone, when I did a PWC this evening and lifted the hood, out flew a scarlet coloured Dragon Fly.

C'mon! A tank full of these critters would be so fascinating. You could watch them go from larval stage to adult right in your own home and then catch the insects and feed them to the fish in your other tanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom