2 Days of Dosing - Water Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I just finished my second water test after waiting about 24 hours after doing the second dose.

Here are the results:

Before I started dosing:
pH 7.0
Ammonia .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos .05
dKH 8
dGH 10
CO2 24ppm

1st Test
pH 7.1
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos .08
dKH 9
dGH 11
CO2 21 ppm

2nd Test
pH 7.1
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos .09
dKH 9
dGH 11
CO2 21 ppm

As you can see not seeing much change. This is how much I am dosing:

PMDD solution - 1 ½ ml per day for 7 days (1 ½ = 1.50ppm)

Mono Potassium Phosphate - 1 ml per day for 7 days (1 ml = 0.14 ppm Phosphate)

Potassium Nitrate – 2 ½ ml per day for 7 days (1ml = 0.575 ppm Nitrate)

So my questions are:
How long until I start seeing results?
Am I dosing enough?

Just want to make sure I am doing this right.

Jeff

i'm no expert on dosing so I will let someone else handle that.

I'm just wondering about the ammonia reading. I thought it should be at 0. just curious if there is a reason for that :?:

I don't think this tank has really started much of a cycle yet.

I would get your kH down a bit to six or lower and the pH to a little below 7, in the high sixes. I would get the GH down to 6 too, if possible with your RO...And reconsider dry dosing the Potassium and individually dosing each fert including Plantex CSM +B as I and others have posted before. More control!! On my tank about all I ever do is dry dose K and a tiny bit of epsom salts, and wet dose some Plantex and Iron. Fish take care of the nitrates Also, watch the PO4 on this young of tank, or you will get spanked with the real green water demon.
Get your nitrates up to at least 5ppm. Take 1/8 teaspoon of potassium nitrate powder per 24 gallons of zero ppm nitrate water (take a gallon or two of water out and mix the powder necessary for that level) and pour in the mixture over the spray bar. 1/8th teaspoon of your powder should give you 5ppm nitrates per 24 gallons ... Wait a few hours and take some measurements. You can spread this out over a day so as not to stress the fish, but honestly they would probably be fine if you just poured it in all at once at this low of dosage. 7ppm is a good target level for nitrates.

Dang there are a lot of ways to dose a tank :)

I've read all the different websites, talked to ppl in my lfs, and have emailed back and forth with Greg Watson....

Guess I'll try some of the other ways if I don't see any improvements over the weekend.

Keep the advise coming,

Jeff

Jeff,

What Phos test you using? I wish mine could read down to hundredth's. You sure it's not .8?? As mentioned, be very careful with the Phos dossing.

Your amon. levels are still puzzling. How long the tank been running again? Possibly its still cycling, but with the WC's you've been doing and all the plants, your Amon seams consistantly high to me. Your not leaving dead fish in the tank are you? How often/much you feeding? Have you touched any of the media in your filter?

Best I can recall your useing AP test drops for the most part. Be patient. Keep in mind, if your only raiseing values .2-.5 per day. Its going to take several days to register on a chart thats starts reading at 5. Stick to your calcs and relax :wink:

My tank has been up and running sense 4/22 so I am thinking it's still cycling. I don't leave in dead fish... wife freaks out when she sees one. I think I was over feeding... I was feeding everyday but I think I was giving too much. Haven't touched any of the media in my filter... just leaving it alone for now.

I imagine it still is cycling. Its a big tank, with lots of plants which love using up all that ammonia, so it will take awhile to get the nitrifying bacteria colonies built up. It takes a bit of time to achieve a balance in a big new tank. It takes a big ammonia spike to trigger the nitrite (and next) the nitrate spike.

seachem's phosphate kit does have markings down to the hundredth.

I don't see anything wrong with the Kh or Gh. those are the same as my tank (Gh 11 here actually) and my plants do fine.
If your fish need softer water, then mix in some R/O...otherwise I think the plants are fine without it.

Malkore,
I have read that most tropical fish including angelfish, cichlids, tetras, and botia (with many exceptions including live bearers) do better in water in a 3 to 6 degree GH and KH range. And the same is true for alot of plants. Also, by getting his pH down he can more easily get the CO2 concentration up to 30ppm which will help control BBA and other algae by enhancing plant growth. These are just opinions.

Back
Top Bottom