2 dead cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey all,

got home from work to find 2 of my 6 cories dead / eaten ..

its a newly planted 10gal consiting of:
7 male fancy guppies
5 blue neon tetra
& now, 4 pygmy cory

i know i'm a little overstocked but i have a 160gph filter & now plan on getting rid of the guppies

just wondering why this happened & if it was likely the guppies that did it? i dont wanna lose any more of my cories so i'll remove the guppies tonight if need be

also, my amonia SPIKED so i did two 40-45% water changes.. gonna test again soon

any insight would be appreciated

thanks

from .25 to about 2ppm .. its back down to .50 though

could the ammo have been from the dead fish all day? the guppies are coming out now & goin in a heated bucket

should i do another change or is that too much stress?

this is why i dont do community.. i have HORRIBLE luck w/ them.. my tetras now have ick.. i dunno what happened it was legit except for the .25 ammo

possibly because of the overstocking?

ronnieroach said:

could the ammo have been from the dead fish all day? the guppies are coming out now & goin in a heated bucket

Another PWC ASAP! Ammonia needs to come down. You may have overloaded you BB by adding too many fish at once and/or having an overstocked tank.

ronnieroach said:

this is why i dont do community.. i have HORRIBLE luck w/ them.. my tetras now have ick.. i dunno what happened it was legit except for the .25 ammo

possibly because of the overstocking?

Ich can be brought on by stress (overstocked tank). Your your temp up to 86 over the next few hours. You will need to treat the guppies and cories too.

guppies are out & go to a friends empty tank tmro

cant up the temp til tmro though cuz my other heaters w/ the gupps

added 2 tblspns of salt .. gna do another change in the AM

first time w/ sand & plants, can i use quick cure for the ick or no??

THANKS FOR THE QUICK HELP!! very appreciated

Man, you've got a (potential) mess on your hands.

Methinks a 10g is too small for you to start with.

Second, cory's are pretty hardy so whatever killed them (ammonia for example) had to have been extreme. Do PWC's, keep testing those params, add aquarium salt in moderation, and start upping that temp every 6 hours or so. You better nip this ICH in the butt and be diligent with it, or it can ultimately end in a mass die off.

Well you aren't a little overstocked....more like double stocked. As I said before, 7 guppies pretty much stocks a 10 gal. You've added all the fish too fast, and are adding too many, and that's why you're having an ammo spike. You didn't QT the fish, or if you did it must have been for a very short time, and that's surely how you brought the ich in. Usually I would go salt and heat, but that may not be the best for the cories or neons, so you may want to use meds. What plants are in there?

I've used just heat to treat cories before no salt so that's an option as well. Those guppies will be infected so don't just give them to your friend without telling him. They could infect his fish with cross contamination between tanks.

yah i did this like a bone head for sure.. just got over excited i guess :(

for plants, i have a cypherus(?) grass lookin plant & an amazon sword (i knooow too big for a 10 lol)

the gupps are going to an empty tank so he can treat them when he gets them w/ no worries

i wanna add quick cure before i go to work but i'm nervous because of the sand / plants

doing another pwc right now.. i'll test & post my findings after .. everything was right yesterday except for the ammo

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP & even moreso, thanks for being nice about my idiocy :)

I remember when you started this tank. You began a thread asking for 10 gallon stocking ideas.. You said it had to be stocked by the weekend...

I asked "why by the weekend? Has the tank even been cycled yet?"

Your response...

ronnieroach said:
& no donk, its not cycled but i have a filter that is being used by a friend & water from my big tank. PLUS, i know everyone on here is all about cycling but i've never done it & i've been fine thus far. i mean, i would obv run the tank for a day or so but i'm not gonna go nuts for a 10gal community. i KNOW it'll be fine ;)

maybe i just dont get it or maybe i'm being ignorant .. either way, i'll be alright lol

hmmmmm.. There were also many great stocking ideas in that thread... One of them which I followed for my own 10 gallon. So far so good!

I mean this in the nicest way, honestly. But why do you ask for advice?

i feel ya donk.. & normally i follow the advice i get but my shops didnt have any of the fish, minus the cories, so i had to go w/ my gut & yes i def overloaded w/ too many fish at once & too many fish alltogether

but just because i didnt listen to one post you dont gotta call me out on the thread.. just sayin man, i'm all about p-vibes so no negativity towards you but maybe next time PM the person if you gotta know the answer to that question

annnnnyway, yeah i thought i was smart enough & then i boffed it.. totally my bad & i was warned so now i'm just tryin to save everyone :(

did the pwc & tested again this morn but because i was late for work i forgot to go back & check the reading lol i'll be doing another pwc & test when i get home .. & the gupps are at my buddy's so its just the 5 tetras w/ ick & the 4 cories now

hopefully everyone survives

i really do appreciate everyones help & am following it to the letter this time so hopefully nobodys hatin' on the roach man :)

My apologies Roach. Your right, maybe I should have pm. I only want your tank to succeed and your fish to get healthy. I am just a beginner in this hobby as well, but I've had good results so far, due to my patience and listening to the pros.

Are you using Prime for your dechlorinator?

If Donkey hadn't called you on it, others would have. Hopefully, it gave you food for thought. Now, it's been dealt with and we can move on.

Did you see the posts about corys being sensitive to salt?

Before you start winging meds or salt into your tank, it's up to you, as the caretaker of your fish, to do research on each species and find out what their tolerance is.

Pygmy corys are very sensitive. They really need established tanks. Your best bet is to do frequent water changes until you get your params in line for the health and well-being of your surviving fish.

Cories being sensitive to salt is really overrated IMO. They're a lot less sensitive to salt than they would be to Quick Cure. I've been treating cories for ich with salt for years.

While I do agree that you stocked this tank too heavily and too quickly, I think it is worth noting that pygmy cories are NOT hardy fish and I would have expected some losses regardless, sadly. You should see how many die off when they come into the LFS. ;)

thanks for all the help guys.. i kinda figured 'how hard can community really be...' but i learned its very hard if done like bonehead lol

i'm gonna do pwc's all night & pray they all survive.. if not, i'm done w/ community forever lol

thanks again homies.. i'll update when i get homeski

i didnt address everything before so here's a lil more..

i agree, i can be reckless w/ my community buying & my not researching at times. i do research but dont always find everything i'm looking for.. also, i dig using AA cuz its usually experience over information :)

for dechlorinator i use stresscoat BUT have recently been seeing prime is the best available

just did 2 pwc's & tested ammo again & i'm at .50 or less .. gonna do 2 more pwc's through tonight since they dont seem to be bothered or stressed by them

as for the salt, i think the cories are ok w/ the small amount cuz the remaining 4 are all swimming & look healthy ..

SHOULD I DEFINITELY NOT USE QUICKCURE?!?!

lemme know friends ;)

ronnieroach said:
i didnt address everything before so here's a lil more..

i agree, i can be reckless w/ my community buying & my not researching at times. i do research but dont always find everything i'm looking for.. also, i dig using AA cuz its usually experience over information :)

for dechlorinator i use stresscoat BUT have recently been seeing prime is the best available

just did 2 pwc's & tested ammo again & i'm at .50 or less .. gonna do 2 more pwc's through tonight since they dont seem to be bothered or stressed by them

as for the salt, i think the cories are ok w/ the small amount cuz the remaining 4 are all swimming & look healthy ..

SHOULD I DEFINITELY NOT USE QUICKCURE?!?!

lemme know friends ;)

IMHO no. And you need to get that ammonia down. The fish may seem fine but they probably are not.

Back
Top Bottom