2 different fry together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a fry tank full of platy fry. Can different fry be together? Can eggs be in there with fry?

I don't see why not. As long as the platy fry aren't big enough to eat the eggs or other fry.

Aces11 said:
I don't see why not. As long as the platy fry aren't big enough to eat the eggs or other fry.

Ok great thanks!

Ducatiman said:
I have guppy, Molly, angel and platy fry together. Really must sort out my fry tanks!

Oh wow nice! Do you sell your fry? That's a lot of fry! Thanks for info. I just have a 10G for my fry.

Yes. I have 14 fry tanks plus larger tanks. I tend to put fry into tanks matching their sizes. I.e Molly fry are large so won't put newly born platy fry with them. I then sort fry out when they get bigger. I keep a few tanks free, hospital / giving birth and another for reserve. I sometimes put 2 or 3 pregnant fish in same birthing tank. I have a plastic grass carpet covering the floor and fry seem to survive very well.

Ducatiman said:
Yes. I have 14 fry tanks plus larger tanks. I tend to put fry into tanks matching their sizes. I.e Molly fry are large so won't put newly born platy fry with them. I then sort fry out when they get bigger. I keep a few tanks free, hospital / giving birth and another for reserve. I sometimes put 2 or 3 pregnant fish in same birthing tank. I have a plastic grass carpet covering the floor and fry seem to survive very well.

Wow! So you don't sell/get rid of any fish?

I have angelfish and jack dempsey fry growing out together, it's fine as long as you separate them once the size difference becomes noticeable. The same needs to be done even with a tank full of the same species so that the runts can have ample opportunity to catch up in size, as well as avoiding predation among the fry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom