2 High or 4 High/Low Powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wanting to do a mixed reef tank with SPS corals on top, and LPS/anemones toward the bottom. With my tank being 55g, could I get away with having 2 1050-1400gph PH on the top (each side of the tank) and have my sump return aimed down low? Or would I need to add 1 or 2 PH that are rated 750gph or less on the bottom? My return pump is about 500gph.

actually, if you have 2 x 1400 gph power heads, i don't think you are going to need much aiming towards the bottom. i think those will take care of the entire tank, especially if they are power heads that have a wide spread, like a koralia or similar.

Only problem with that is anemone will choose where they want to go, normally mid to top of tank, again depending on flow. I have tried my anemone at the bottom of the tank but always finds a low flow zone near the 3/4 way of the tank.

actually, if you have 2 x 1400 gph power heads, i don't think you are going to need much aiming towards the bottom. i think those will take care of the entire tank, especially if they are power heads that have a wide spread, like a koralia or similar.

I was looking at those because of their great reputation.

Only problem with that is anemone will choose where they want to go, normally mid to top of tank, again depending on flow. I have tried my anemone at the bottom of the tank but always finds a low flow zone near the 3/4 way of the tank.

I thought about that too, but if I had the PH in there first, would they move up to a level that would be too powerful for them? (Basically are they that stubborn?) Also, my LR formation is quite vertical, with shelves starting about 4-5" from the sand; can anemones move up that?

anemones are funny things, and they can move anywhere. they are like snails :p and yes they are stubborn lol

Back
Top Bottom