2 male bettas, will they calm down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 male bettas divided in my 10 gal. It's been 2 days and they're constantly flaring an each other. Even flaring while they eat. Now I think they're having a bubble nest war, lol, sounds silly but.. Anyway, will they eventually calm down or should I make plans to separate them?

I've never kept 2 males in the same tank even with a divider, but I would think the stress would be big on both of them.

dave

if you could make the divider opaque so they can't see eachother that would slove you problem. Perhaps you could use one of the laminated backdrops designed to go on the inside of aquariums....

BlazerFRS said:
Perhaps you could use one of the laminated backdrops designed to go on the inside of aquariums....
That is a good idea. I didn't think of that. Thank you. :)

yeah, maybe get something to cover the divider like that that you can take out just so you can watch them flare for a little while, but block their vision from each other at times so they dont get stressed.

i would also put fake plants along the divider to help hide them from eachother, but every once in a while they get a glimpse of the other and they flare it will help keep their colors bright

HTH

oh yes, the plant idea is excellent.. so they don't have a constant view of each other.. but can get a glimpse every now and then.. i love bettas.

It just depends on the bettas if they will calm down, just as it depends on their personalities if they will be ok in a community tank. I had two male bettas in a divided 5 gallon tank :)oops: my first two, and a 5 gal wasn't big enough for both of them, really.) But surprisingly, they got along very well.

When they died, I got another 5 gallon tank, and put the first 5 gallon tank and the new 5 gallon tank beside each other, so each new betta could have his own tank. The bettas that I had in these tanks flared at each other a lot, at the corner where they could see each other. My second two bettas weren't calm like the first two I had.

So to answer your question, it just depends on their personalities. Try to find a more opaque divider (craft plastic forms with square holes for yard or thread was what I used, in place of the clear divider that came with the frame). I also considered using the aquarium background sheets. You could try that, but be aware that it may cut off the water/heat/filter flow to the other half of the tank. You may have to adjust it and work with it a bit to overcome those concerns. I think the best thing to try would be the opaque divider, and plants along the divider on both sides. Also, some plants within each side of the tank may be helpful too, so the bettas can "get away" to their own area and hide if they want.

My wife and I have kept and occasionally bred and raised Bettas.
We've kept our males in divided 10gal tanks with plants along the divider(s). We never tried to completely obscure their view of each other.
As already stated, it will depend on one or both bettas temperament as to whether they'll calm down a little. But, they'll never be totally at peace as long as they can see one another.

Back
Top Bottom