2 New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I stopped at the LFS on my way home from work and I picked up a male gold gourami. My other 3 are female. I also picked up a Flying Fox. I think it is the real deal as the color carries out through the tail(just one of the tips I picked up on in the identification information). This is as opposed to a false flying fox.(thanks mitcore) I did not think I would like the fish however its a cute little 2 1/2 inch fish and I will have pics soon! Plus he will help take care of my green hair algae growing on a little piece of driftwood.

Congrats

I got a couple new fish today too, Mollies. One's black and the others gold. Figured it was time to change things up a little. They are currently sitting in a huge fish bowl while on observation. How long should I wait to add them? There's plenty of space, a few plants, and a cave to swim through so they should be happy for a while. :)

I would put them in the tank they will be housed in. If there is no filter or air/water movement, it is not good for them. Bettas can withstand it as they surface to breathe air when needed. If you dont see any signs of illness I would say it is okay to add them. It is a good idea to observe new fish however. I dont have a qt for my FW yet either. I should get one as my tank is larger and has many inhabitants. I try to observe fish in store as well... I probably look crazy staring into one tank for 5 minutes but it has worked so far.

Turn the light out when you do put the mollies in if there are other fish this will help with any "nerves" and helps the fish settle in. Also drip acclimating them helps adjust what water they are in to your current conditions. You should always float the bag they came in in your tank for 15-30 min. I floated mine today for 20 then drip acclimated the fish.

your welcome ghostknife, i am happy to help
the foxes are nice looking fish and once it is settled in the tank your should see it go after the hair algae,
and before you know it
the algae will be gone and then the fox will stop in the middle of the tank nibbling on whatever flows past it

These are my new fish. The Flying Fox just after a day was zooming around eating a few of the food particles that the other fish missed or dropped and the gourami loved the blood worms. Also the Flying Fox was eating the hair algae which is exactly what I wanted him for!!!

p.s. Im not the best at photos in the tank. I am getting better and learning the functions of my digital camera.
18608-albums326-picture2968.jpg
18608-albums326-picture2966.jpg
18608-albums326-picture2967.jpg

Beautiful fish! I'll post some of my new ones once I take a few. I'm leaving them alone for the most part just letting them get settled in. I put them in the tank today because they weren't acting odd, and I had checked them out for like 10 mins at the store and picked the two most active. They seem to be doing just fine, eating well, and getting along very well the the other tenants.

Back
Top Bottom