20 gal for $30 worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go for it. A stand for that tank (store bought) would be atleast $30.

A new tank only from my local LPS is about $40.

So I think its a good deal!

Local Petsmart has 20g kit for 60$ excluding gravel for another 6-10$, decor x$, and the cheapest stand this one has is a crappy metal one for 40$

yeah go for it, never know when you may need it as an emergency tank or spare tank if one needs to be tore down

Well, I went ahead and got it. Slightly disappointing--all the stuff is old and filthy, which means cleaning and I am allergic to cleaning. There was also no heater, and the stand was a little bit junky. And the cover is broken (fixable, though). Still, it was worth it, and it'll make a good QT tank or even, once it's cleaned up, replace one of the 10 gallons (which would then be the QT).

Oh, and I got a betta bowl (yeah, I know bowls are cruel, but all of my friends like bringing me rescue bettas I think they steal from Walmart, and I'm running low on space) at a garage sale for a quarter. Kick-butt.

Your friends do know that purchasing a fish from a store because they feel sorry for it, only encourages the store to get more to replace it right?

They know that, but I have a (more than slight) sneaking suspicion they don't actually purchase them (bored college kids in Walmart late at night is never good for Walmart). The last batch, though, were a few taken from the centerpieces used at my old high school's drill team's banquet. I'm glad they stole them from the banquet--a lot of them were given away to the drill teams girls (not known for their stunning intellect) and I heard after the fact that a lot of them had gone and released them together "into the wild" at one of the local ponds/lakes. o_O Poor fish. I'm just glad I talked my high school band director into never approving fish centerpieces at our banquet.

I bought my 20gal. from PetsMart for $133 CAD. It had everything except the gravel, fish, water and stand. The light hood was also fluorescent with one of those starter device. It's a nice tank actually. I bought the stand from Paul's Aquarium for about $70, but it's a wrought iron stand that holds two tanks, so my 15 gal. sits on the bottom of it.

$30 USD is probably $40-45 CAD, so with the stand included you are practically stealing it.

I'd go for it for 30 bucks. Itll make for a nice QT/fry tank. Of course if you keep doing that you will end up with 7 tanks in no time....like I did. I'm at the point where I have too many small tanks. I need to start collecting some 55+ gal tanks now, so I can get rid of some of these smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom