20 Gal Planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, not a good week for this tank. Did some routine maintenance on the this tank and the 50gal yesterday...trimming and dosing fertz and Excel. Woke up this morning to hazy water and four floating danios. Had dosed a little extra Excel yesterday which happens sometimes and I've never had an issue before, but it's the only thing I can think of that might have happened. The only thing I can't understand is that if it was the Excel, why the danios and not the neons or RCS which are supposedly sensitive? Did a 60-75% pwc and will watch the tank closely the rest of the day.

Pics from yesterday-
img_1472184_0_b82c4cca6ccc4104a3ccb6a5d6f31398.jpg

img_1472184_1_c74ba71ae5433f1fc10f93eba7c8ec85.jpg

I would have a tough time blaming the excel. I have dosed that stuff in massive quantities without ill effects. Cloudy water also concerns me and shouldn't happen from excel dosing. Did you test the water?

My thoughts were the same..like I said it was just the only thing I could think of. Water parameters are currently-

0ppm Ammonia
.25ppm nitrite
<10ppm nitrate

I am not sure why the nitrite reading..assuming the fish floating over night made the water parameters fluctuate. Everyone is swimming around normally at the moment. Any thoughts for me?

Yeah that might be a safe assumption about the nitrites.

Did you do any filter maintenance?

Did the water clear up yet? That could have been the dead fish floating too... How long have the danios been in there?

It is perplexing. I have had die offs like that before without much of an explanation either... Always frustrating.

Yeah that might be a safe assumption about the nitrites.

Did you do any filter maintenance?

Did the water clear up yet? That could have been the dead fish floating too... How long have the danios been in there?

It is perplexing. I have had die offs like that before without much of an explanation either... Always frustrating.

Danios have been in the tank since January. No filter maintence this week..Just simple trimming and the ferts dosing (last weekly pwc was Friday). Water clarity is much better then it was this morning. Frustrated is exactly how I feel..not sure what happened!

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about your danios.

That's just what happened to me too when my cards and harlequins just suddenly died too. :-(

Hope you'll find out what happened.

I have no idea what happened, Daileene! Everyone seems fine now, so hopefully whatever it was doesn't happen again..

10 days after the danio incident and all is still well. Kind of a jungle at the moment. Trimmed back the hygro this week but need to work on the rest. My butterfly cichlid is becoming more and more interactive; I actually got some pics of him this week. :)

img_1495632_0_565bf61b70e8d8131ecb797da4bcf40f.jpg

img_1495632_1_18f801ac41585eb4961a1b0cc4d2e79d.jpg

I love mine..s/he has a very interesting personality. He pretends he is shy when other people are around but when he sees me, he flys to the front of the tank hoping for food. lol

Update: Stumbled upon some CRS at TFP, so I have new additions to this tank! Picked up some Cyperus helferi as well. (right corner of tank)

img_1515388_0_00f52c190f7781835cec5a0776a6c6a1.jpg

CRS-
img_1515388_1_e70e4f1b56533be8a8cb139bb1e39ba7.jpg

So do CRS and red cherry shrimp get along with African Butterfly Cichlids?

Very Nice looking shrimp!! :)

Back
Top Bottom