20 gallon day 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtankin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I used declorinater upon startup, 24 hours later added TSS,betta and pleco. Day 4 added 5 cherry barbs.. Day 6 test results are 0-0.5 ammonia...0-20 nitrate....0 nitrite... 8.4 pH(added pH decrease at 8pm). So that's where im at now.... Is this normal?

It's a common pleco, I know it will get to big but I have plans for it.. I used TSS so it says you can fully stock tanks. All I ask is if my levels are normal.( I already know about the nitrogen cycle)

Any ammonia level can be toxic. Above .25 is highly toxic. TSS (and a lot of other products SAY) a lot of things. Given the ranges you provided, I'm assuming you are using test strips? Adding chemicals to adjust pH is almost always a bad idea. It's "normal" for a cycling tank. Good luck to you and your fish.

Yes there strips.. And I just tested my tap water and it's pH is 8.5+ so should I stop using the ph downer? Or continue until it's at a safe level?

My recommendation would be to stop trying to alter it. The test strips are notoriously inaccurate and may be leading you slightly astray. A liquid reagent test kit is much more accurate. Clean water and stability are the best course IMO.

I have to agree with the test strips being inaccurate. Also a stable ph is better than trying to acheive an "ideal" ph.

How often are you doing water changes? I would recommend doing a water change every 2 days. If you can get a liquid test kit, the Aquarium Pharmaceticals master test kit is very inexpensive.

Yes, I agree! A liquid test kit is the way to go, and often you'll find out that your parameters are much different than the strips will tell you. At any rate, stable pH is better than adding chemicals to alter it. I also agree that you should stop stocking your tank until you get results of 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and measurable nitrate, from a liquid test kit for at least a couple of weeks to be safe. TSS can work for a quick cycle, but I disagree with its claims (or that of ANY cycling product) that you can stock to 100% capacity from the get-go.

Agreed with all the Mentors and Admin. Some products work and some will just end up being bad in the long run. It is all a marketing scheme. MY ULTIMATE *OPINION* would be to listen to these very honest and kind folk (they have saved my house and carpeting from a flood because I would have smashed my tank with a hammer if it weren't for them), and IGNORE the labels except for their names. Good luck to you and your fish.

Back
Top Bottom