20 gallon filter problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docbree

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new 20 gallon tank with a Whisper 10-30i (150 gph) internal filter. Right now, the only inhabitant is a golf-ball sized Pomacea diffusa (mystery snail). It seems as though the intake suction is too strong, because when she crawls over the intake holes (linear fenestrations) her tentacles get sucked in. A nearby (fake) plant has several leaves that stay stuck to the base. I'm afraid to put the baby snails in or add the tetras I want to buy because I'm afraid they'll get stuck. Any suggestions? I'm open to getting a new filter if necessary.

ps Someone suggested putting a sponge over the intake tubing - but it doesn't have that - it has a base with about 15 linear fenestrations.

Thanks in advance:fish2:

Last edited:
I just looked at a picture of it and now I see why the snail would try to crawl over it. If the tetras are healthy and adults I doubt they will succumb to the current of the intake.

However, for the snail I would possibly cut out a thin, square piece of foam that would cover those slits and wrap two rubber bands around the filter base to keep that square piece of foam in place.

You could also consider getting an aquaclear. The snail definitely won't crawl over that intake and it won't take up any tank space.

That's a great idea! Do you know what type of foam I should get to be assured it won't be toxic?

docbree said:
That's a great idea! Do you know what type of foam I should get to be assured it won't be toxic?

Filter Foam should work.
BUT check the flow, if it slows down, clean the foam. Too much blockage can kill the filter.

Personally I prefer HOB filters with foam over the intake. I need all my tank space for plants ;)

I kind of jinxed myself today. I wrote that post up about how the snail wouldn't try to get into the aquaclear filter intake and what did my mystery snail do? Just that of course.

Back
Top Bottom