20 Gallon Glofish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on where you get it from. If you get it from a place that gets it ready for you (most do) then just rinsing and a boil will be good. I get mine from petco and Amazon and I rinse several times then boil it for 30-60 mins(at a rolling boil) let it cool then put it in my tank the same day and I have not had a problem yet. Really I only boil it because I want to make sure that in case whoever I bought it from has a sickness or something in their tank or treatment center, I don't get it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay! I got it from amazon so I'll boil and rinse it like you said. Thank you so much for your help :)

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

You're welcome and good luck with your tank. It's a funny hobby and it only gets better with more tanks! ? I actually think I'm going to get turtles soon.

I would've never guessed that having fish would be so fun! It's honestly becoming a passion for me very quickly. This forum has been so awesome and helpful, I don't know what I'd have done without it. I'd probably still be with my tiny, overpopulated tank, pulling out dead fish after dead fish. It's really been a great help to have people aid me along!
Having turtles are a blast, aquatic turtles are messy but really rewarding because they have so much character and personality :) they grow so fast though haha! I have a friend with two desert tortoises and they don't smell and they are super cute. they're spendy, but it's totally worth the money, just like fish I guess!

It's definitely a passion for me! I haven't been using this forum for very long but I like it so far everyone is great and helpful. As for the turtles I'm gonna get aquatic I have read so much about them and I'm ready to get them

They're pretty easy and hardy too! :) thank you again for the help!

I'm ecstatic! I have four ghost shrimp and one of them is, by what I see, pregnant! I'll see if I can snap a better pic of her when she's done hiding. I'm sure she just recently molted her she'll too, so she is very fragile and has been hiding all morning.
I was wondering if there are any precautions I should take. I AM cycling. I am scared when these babies are born if they will die because of the tank being uncycled. I'm currently doing a 50% water change every couple days. I've been cycling for almost a month. I am not sure of the reading because I ran out of test strips and my petsmarts won't get any master test kits in until Tuesday, so I am being very religious on water changes until I can actually read the parameters.
The temp is about 75 degrees F.if there is anything I should do advice is greatly appreciated! ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423417757.167423.jpg

Don't get too excited. Ghost shrimp don't have fully formed babies, they have a larval stage that needs salt water so it's very rare for the babies to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have heard that some species do survive and grow in freshwater, is this true?

Alright, thank you guys

often the males are the ones with the sail fins but females can have less pronounced sails. The sail fin variety actually do much better in low grade saltwater as with most mollies but they seem to tolerate pure freshwater a little less than most mollies.

This is not wholly true, there are populations in the southern US that are in purely freshwater, I used to catch very nice wild sailfins from a spring near my house when I was in Florida.

Don't get too excited. Ghost shrimp don't have fully formed babies, they have a larval stage that needs salt water so it's very rare for the babies to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on the species, most of the ghost shrimp we get are the species from the southern US, which I've found mostly in fresh, but some in weak brackish water.

I have heard that some species do survive and grow in freshwater, is this true?

Yes it is true, but like Coursair mentioned, they are not like other commonly kept shrimp. They have multiple larval stages and need greenwater to feed on through these stages until they become shrimplets. Breeding is best done in outdoor containers with plenty of algae.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have algae wafers that I use for my snails and got a moss ball last night, do you think if placed the female in a separate five gallon tank with plenty of algae wafers or green plant matter and the moss ball that they would survive all right? My neighbors are hoping to buy some shrimp from me, and I'm hoping to create some sort of colony in the future so I want as many to survive as possible

I have algae wafers that I use for my snails and got a moss ball last night, do you think if placed the female in a separate five gallon tank with plenty of algae wafers or green plant matter and the moss ball that they would survive all right? My neighbors are hoping to buy some shrimp from me, and I'm hoping to create some sort of colony in the future so I want as many to survive as possible

No it needs to be greenwater and you would also need to remove any adults after the eggs hatched.

What is green water and how would I get/make it?

What is green water and how would I get/make it?

While I'm not a fan of Wiki, this is probably the easiest method I've ever come across. http://m.wikihow.com/Culture-Greenwater

Greenwater is just water rich in microscopic free floating algae, but I just came across this article, the author does it without greenwater, which I may also try for raising feeders. http://www.fishforums.com/forum/inv...s-patulous.html#/forumsite/20534/topics/17996

That's an excellent link. I too will have to look into that further when time permits.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I will definitely check those out when I get home! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :)

This is not wholly true, there are populations in the southern US that are in purely freshwater, I used to catch very nice wild sailfins from a spring near my house when I was in Florida.

I believe I said that they do better in low grade saltwater, not that they can't live in freshwater.

Yes it is true, but like Coursair mentioned, they are not like other commonly kept shrimp. They have multiple larval stages and need greenwater to feed on through these stages until they become shrimplets. Breeding is best done in outdoor containers with plenty of algae.

so after I make the green water, I don't put the shrimp in it right? Or do I?
I am sorry for asking a lot of questions, I trust you guys a lot more than some websites.

Back
Top Bottom