20 gallon Hex build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M_DonFran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright everyone, I have decided to make a reef tank out of the left over aquarium supplies I have acquired over the years. This is not my first saltwater tank but that doesn't mean I don't need a little help from you guys!

What i have:
20 gallon Hex tank (18 3/4L x 16 1/4W x 20 5/8H)
Aquaclear 50
hydor 240
20lbs of sand
live rock from my other saltwater tank
and a heater

I was going to modify the aquaclear to make into a refugium with macro algae. My main question right now is if you guys think a Kessil a80 would be enough light for the tank. I'm planning on mostly softies possibly some LPS but not sure. Also should i get another powerhead or with the one plus the filter be enough flow?

If anyone has any suggestions, tips, or questions let me know!

Do you think i should get another 240 or should i get a 425 for a second powerhead?

20 gal saltwater? Are you using a sump? I'm a freshwater aquarist but I thought that the smaller the saltwater tank was, the harder it was to keep water safe for fish? If I'm wrong let me know!

No i will not have a sump, and yes a smaller tank is more challenging but not impossible! I would not recommend starting your first saltwater aquarium with a small tank though.

Cool, best of luck to you and post pictures when it's all said and done!!

That is an extremely expensive way to modify a HOB filter. What are you looking to do with the HOB filter? You should be able to modify it yourself without issue. It is basically an empty space that you can put anything in you wish.

I was looking at it more for the overflow box to help with surface scum, the trey for the filter is more of a bonus.

1485128087691.jpg

Here is the tank so far, I need more live rock and I'm waiting on the light and other power head to come in.

I think it looks great . Flow might be tricky but if you keep up maintenance/ water changes , it will be fine. In saying that , I would add another Koralia.

Back
Top Bottom