20 Gallon High Journal/Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rummynose is swimming normally now, but last night he didn't look well. He is schooling with the rest of them.

I'm a little late, but here it goes. Most snails are dioecious, meaning they carry both male and female parts. So they're just breeding with themselves. Every once in a while they'll breed with other snails. According to the zoology professor I worked under, their instincts tell them that genetic variety will help the species survive. So finding monoecious snails (one gender) can help you avoid the snail overrun that happens so often. I think snails are a good addition to any tank if done correctly.

Right now, I am not really worried about the snail situation. I am most worried about my rummynose dying. How should I treat this? My water params are fine, so he shouldn't be infected right? All of the websites about fin rot just say that you should change your tank parameters because they are probably wrong, but mine aren't wrong. I was told by people on AA not to use fish medications because they are not good, and because I have a carbon filter which will remove the medications anyway. So what should I do?

Right now, I am not really worried about the snail situation. I am most worried about my rummynose dying. How should I treat this? My water params are fine, so he shouldn't be infected right? All of the websites about fin rot just say that you should change your tank parameters because they are probably wrong, but mine aren't wrong. I was told by people on AA not to use fish medications because they are not good, and because I have a carbon filter which will remove the medications anyway. So what should I do?

Do you have access to a qt tank?

I have a ten gallon tank in my crawl space, it has a lid and a filter but I don't think the filter has any new filter pads, but I can check

I have a ten gallon tank in my crawl space, it has a lid and a filter but I don't think the filter has any new filter pads, but I can check

You can't put carbon in the filter of a qt tank, since they're usually used to administer medications. I think that tank would work though. I hope someone who knows more helps you.

The filter is a Tetra whisper 10, which should be okay for just a few fish. I just assumed that if the whisper 30 has only carbon filter, then the 10 must only have carbon as well. Any other opinions on whether or not this is fin rot, QTing, or where to find aquarium silicone (I want to glue some rocks together)?

I tested and the params are fine
7.6-7.8 ph
0 nitrite and 0 ammonia. He seems to be a bit better, but his fin is still torn. How long will it take to heal?

The rummynose is doing much better. I decided not to put in snails. I expect to get 2 more rummy nose this week

Big update:
I got 2 more rummy noses from the store. It seems that most of their stock has fin rot, but I don't mind since I can't get them anywhere else. One of the new fish has a severe case of tail rot, but he is getting better rapidly, so there is hope for him. The new one has a bit of fin rot, but it isn't that bad. I have gotten an outbreak of Diatoms (brown algae), and I have considered putting an Otocinclus in there, however I think that I would be way overstocked if I did that. I think I will just wait it out.
On to other, more pleasant news. I am renovating my tank soon. :D I got some aquarium silicone sealant, a piece of Malaysian driftwood, and a piece of purple slate. :dance: I also have some other river rocks, and a few fake plants. I will post some pictures of my decorations that I am making, and what the tank looks like after. Oh! I also put a black background on it. All of the fish seem a lot happier with the 2 extra rummy noses, and they actually school now. I also did a water change/gravel vacuum today, so my gravel should be nice and clean. OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
I just realized I forgot to do a water test . Oh well, I will do that tomorrow (I am too lazy at the moment, in bed with my laptop :lol:). Well, I am home from school tomorrow, and have nothing else to do, so expect to be annoyed to h*** and back by me in about 16 hours or so. :ROFLMAO: Until then, treasure your peace while you can. And turn off the push notifications if you use the aquarium advice app and are subscribed to this thread.
Have a nice day! (for the next 16 hours that is).
Mwahahahahahahahaha!

Sincerely, Alex

Well, I didn't realize that the silicone takes 2 days to dry :banghead:!
I will show you pics of the final product when I put them in.

Haven't updated in a while. I have lots of brown algae on my tank, still, and I am thinking of getting snails. I have one rummy nose tetra that still has tail rot, but he seems to be healing. I will do a wc later today, and my params have been pretty normal.

Back
Top Bottom