20 Gallon High Journal/Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got 2 bloodfin tetras at the store. The tank with rummynose was under treatment, they will get more in on Thursday. One of the Bloodfins got his tail stuck in the net I used to put him in the tank. He was really shocked after that, but he is ok now. I am not getting any more filters. I have a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank!!

I tested yesterday and got:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10-30 nitrate
7.8 ph
I will do a gravel vacuum later today.

I am going to get 3 rummy nose tetras today! So excited! :D
My ph is at 7.6 and my nitrate is at 10-30 still. I think I am going to do a 5 gallon water change later today.

Ok, I left friday morning to go on a three day vacation to myrtle beach. I got 3 rummy nose tetras like I said. One of them had part of his tail chewed off, but I already saw this when I left the pet store. The other two were fine. I fed them a lot when I left friday morning, right before I left, and they all ate except the one with the tail chewed off. It is not completely gone, but a small bottom part is gone. When I got back sunday afternoon I fed them, and they all ate except one of them. It was another rummy nose, and his tail was completely gone. He was struggling to even swim, and it is not the one that had part of his tail gone originally. Was one of the bloodfins the culprit? Is it fin rot?

The one with the tail chewed off died. I got three more today. I found out that it was not fin rot but bullying, and that it was caused because the bloodfins were really hungry.
All 12 fish are swimming loosely together.
I will get 2 more rummynose when the store gets some more (friday or saturday is when I will go).

I forgot to mention this but I got some small snails (about a millimeter in length) in the bag with the fish by accident. I took them all out and put them in a cup full of tankwater. If I put one in will it start an infestation?
Did a 8 gallon wc yesterday, and tested today:
0 nitrite
.25 ammonia
7.6 ph
5-10 nitrate.

Unless youre able to identify what kind of snail it is (which Im guesing will be super hard when it's that small) I wouldnt risk putting it in my tank. I think some snails can reproduce asexually.

If you do decide to keep it and it does reproduce and become a problem, then you could always get an assassin snail or two.

That would work too :) .

But its a 20 gallon tank and I thought loaches get relatively large (>6") and like to be in groups of 3 or more. I there a species that stays around 3" and prefers to be solo?

It is so small that I think posting pics would be useless. My science teacher told us that no animal can reproduce asexually. It is basically small, brown and somewhat conical, but not pointy on the top.

Im sorry... I used the wrong term. I looked up the correct term so I'll try again.
Some snails can reproduce via parthenogenesis.
So ask your science teacher about that. ;)

According to wikipedia (and you) my science teacher was wrong. Some animals can reproduce asexually. So, I have heard about kuhli loaches and that they can be put in a tank, although I would rather have an assassin snail. can you tell me about those?

Any other opinions on the snails?
How about how much to feed the rummy nose?
It isn't a major issue, but it is still good to know

I went to my lfs and looked for rummynose. They didn't have them, buy will get some next week. they did have assassin snails, but I decided not to add any snails.

I have had a problem with one of my rummynose in the past, and they said it was bullying by the bloodfins because the bloodfins were hungry. It is happening again, but not as severe. Here is a copy of my other thread:
I have posted about this before, but I have a tank that I fishless cycled with ammonia on March 8. It has 7 bloodfin tetras and 5 rummynose tetras. My most recent test ( two days ago) got:
10 nitrate
0 nitrite
0 - .25 ammonia
7.6 ph
One of the rummynose has a tear on his fin that was not there before. I left on a trip on the 27th, and when I got back a diferent ones fin was completely gone (tail fin). he eventually died, which I determined was from bullying by the bloodfins because they were hungry. Now what is wrong?
Is it fin rot or bullying?
I have not seen the bloodfins bullying anyone at all. I added 3 rummynose on the 26th, then one died and I added 3 more on the 1st. I plan to add 2 more to bring my total to seven next week, when my lfs gets more. So does this one have fin rot?
Is it bullying?
what should I do?
Tank is a 20 high, i do wcs 5-10 gallons every weekend, haven't vacuumed gravel or changed filter pads.

The affected rummy nose actually had a small tear on the bottom half of his caudal fin when I got him from the store (he was one of he original three rummy nose) but now it is much worse. I am pretty sure it is fin rot, so how do I treat it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom