20-gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Discus1919

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I need info about setting up a 20 gallon reef tank and how much I will spend buying all the materials needed.
I'm looking to keep low light corals.

I know all the basics I'm looking at how much I will spend by setting it up, like the price for a skimmer, live rock, sand, salt, I already have a 20 pre drilled tank w/ sump.

Well salt is pretty basic, I pay $48 for a 200g box, sand you'll need about 20-30 lbs. You can use aragonite from your LFS or even pool filter sand like I did. It's $5 for 50lbs at home depot.

As far as rock, I would add mostly base rock at about $2.50 a lb and some live rock for whatever the price is near you, sometimes as much as 6.99 a lb I've seen.

On such a small tank you don't necessarily need a skimmer if you keep up on your weekly water changes and take care of the tank. I'm running a 29 cube now with no skimmer and ran a regular 29g tank without one for awhile as well.

You'll need ro/di water, so you can either buy that from your lfs or supermarket water machine or get a unit of your own for about $70. If you are buying a hyrdometer for salinity you might want to invest the extra $15 and get a refractrometer. Much more reliable and accurate. I will assume you know that you need a test kit for your water, preferably a liquid one as they are also more accurate than the strips.

If theres anything specific you need just ask, I can usually find a link for it. :-D

Carey do u think having a pair of clows, yellow watchman w/ pistol shrimp, blue mandarin n green (male n female), n other small goby will be ok to have in a 20 g tank?? Or a 29 g will be best??

Discus1919 said:
Carey do u think having a pair of clows, yellow watchman w/ pistol shrimp, blue mandarin n green (male n female), n other small goby will be ok to have in a 20 g tank?? Or a 29 g will be best??

Way too many for a 20g. Also, I don't think having a mandarin, let alone 2 mandarins in a tank is a good idea. They only eat copepods so you need a lot of LR and a refugium so they have a constant and steady food supply.

Ok so I guess I'll go w/ the green mandarin cos they r usually bred in captivity n they do better, I guess I'll go w/ my 29 g.

I have an ORA blue mandarin and am having issues with feeding. it is not a guarantee that they will eat prepared foods, as I'm learning. Luckily I have another tank to put her in but I for sure wouldnt recommend one to someone just starting out. :)

In a 29g you can have your pair of clown, the yellow watchman and probably 2 other fish as long as they dont get huge or anything.

I had in my 29g a pair of clown, a royal gramma and a lawnmower blenny.
In my current 29g cube I have a goby, scooter, yellow watchman and a blue mandarin. If and when I move the mandarin I ma add a pair of clowns. But thats even pushing it a bit.

Hope that was helpful. :)

Thank u n I guess I'll set up a 29 gallon, I was thinking about doing 20-30 % water change weekly, can't wait to set it up :D

Back
Top Bottom