20 gallon sw pointless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goinpostal

Aquarium Advice Regular
is doing a 20 gallon tank a waste of my time and effort
every fish that i have looked at has at least has a minimum of a 30 gallon or greater
is there any fish to put in this size tank??? :?

LOL, I don't think it is ;)

1_27_04.jpg

I have three fish in my 20g long pictured above, and I think all three are in the pic for once :mrgreen:
Percula clownfish
yellow watchman goby
red lipped blenny

20 gallon pointless

No, it is definately not pointless. Smaller tanks are just more difficult to maintain stability with. There's lots of interesting stuff that you can get that won't grow too large.

That depends. 20 gallons are much harder to keep stable than larger tanks. The amount of success you have with it depends on your experience. Are you experienced in saltwater? If so then you shouldn't have much trouble, otherwise you might want to start larger. My first saltwater tank was a 20 but that was after lots of research and a significant amount of experience with difficult freshwater fish. My saltwater operation has now expanded to include 2 20s, a 55, and a 90. All are reefs except one of the 20s. So- it can be done fairly easily provided you do some research and pay a lot of attention to it. I'd suggest small damsels- one, maybe 2. I also breed clownfish and have heard of people succesfully breeding pairs of ocellaris or percula clowns in a 20 with no fish tankmates ofcourse. The desire for many different fish is easily curbed in saltwater by adding crabs, shrimp, urchins, and after a little experience; stars, mushroom anemones, and zoanthids can all be maintained in a 20 with relative ease and can be quite breathtaking. There are even more options available to those who truely know what theyre doing.

Since there are two of these topics here, I have tried to merge them together and have had no luck at all. Someone else may want to try.

thanks are there any other fish that would work?

and how many could i put in ? i know based on there size that would vary

i did check on quite a few fish but i didn't think that i could because they all had a minimum in my book anyway of 30 gallon or more

You could put smaller damels in (i.e. Yellow Tail, Domino, etc...). Small clowns would work as well (i.e. False Percs). Smaller Pseudochromis and Basslets are other good choices.

coral beauty anglefish that can get to 4in. right
puffers are't good right?
bicolor pseudochromis?
velvet multicolor wrasse

or something more like just clowns

i thought they would all get to big for a 20 these are all that say at least 30

coral beauty anglefish that can get to 4in. right

Yeo, you could do one, but that would probably limit you to just one more fish in the tank with it.

puffers are't good right?
velvet multicolor wrasse

These would be unsuitable for a 20g tank.

The clowns and the bicolor pseudochromis would be OK.

20_tankShot.jpg

Theres a shot of my 20g reef....Its now in a 55 though, but if a 20 is all you got thats fine. A 20 can look just as good as larger tank and have just as much variety...

20gal? I have 5 tanks this size going. One has an Ocellaris clown and a Bangaii cardinal. The others are coral prop tanks with 2-3 damsels each. They are a little harder to maintain, but not that bad.

i have a 29 as well but i wanted explore my options before setting either up for saltwater your tanks do look very nice!

I have a 12gal FOWLR. It requires a little more work than a 55 gal, but I'm happy with my decision (small apt- limited space).

Back
Top Bottom