20 gallon tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvercloud

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a cycled 20 gallon tank that I am lookin to completely rescape and restock, as I currently have several guppies and an ABN pleco. I was looking to stock it with something a little different that can be placed with a couple of mystery snails, since I definitely want a couple of those. All help is appreciated, thank you!

I have a cycled 20 gallon tank that I am lookin to completely rescape and restock, as I currently have several guppies and an ABN pleco. I was looking to stock it with something a little different that can be placed with a couple of mystery snails, since I definitely want a couple of those. All help is appreciated, thank you!
I recently added a gold gourami to my tank and i love him. Very beautiful and active, and he doesnt bother my guppies at all. Makes a nice centerpiece!

That’s good to know, I will unfortunately probably get rid of my pleco since he is very aggressive and attacks any mystery snails I add

Gold gouramis can get quite large (about 6 inches) and have a mean streak. I don't think they're really suitable for a 20 gallon or to be housed with guppies.

Is it a 20 tall, or 20 long?

It is a 20 tall. Do you guys think that a normal or a dwarf gourami would be better?

Threadfin rainbow fish. I had them in a 29 and the are interesting and beautiful fish.

It is a 20 tall. Do you guys think that a normal or a dwarf gourami would be better?
In that size I'd go with honey gourami if you want gourami. Or sparkling gourami but the are quite small.

Ok I will consider that but it all depends on what my lfs has in stock

Do you think that dwarf gouramis would be too aggressive? I’ve only ever had one and it attacked absolutely everything

You could always order them or see if your LFS will order them. Shipping will be steep because they overnight it.

Yeah, but being a teenager I don’t really have the money to get things shipped overnight

Ahh gotcha. Sometimes employees even at the big box stores will know what they are getting in advance. Maybe they'll tell you?? We got one where I'm at and they get their stock every Thursday and one of their employees are good about looking into what they maybe getting.

I know that they are probably getting three varieties of dwarf gourami tomorrow, but as I said I am worried about their temperament

I know that they are probably getting three varieties of dwarf gourami tomorrow, but as I said I am worried about their temperament
You could go with females if they have them. They are less aggressive. I'd definitely not get more than one male and then it's a 50/50 shot on if he will attack everything he sees as in his territory.

I will see what they get in tomorrow and then post updates, I really don’t want to choose the wrong one

Honey gouramis are common and if they have them I'd go with them. You can even have more than one male with them lol
I will see what they get in tomorrow and then post updates, I really don’t want to choose the wrong one

They have a cobalt blue dwarf gourami, lavender, gold, and opal in gouramis. Would any of those be ok?

Back
Top Bottom