2015 project: living room focal point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The time to go big AND go home has arrived. I am planning on having my first large tank (20+gal), high tech, high maintenance, high cost, high class, double high five by February 15th.

I foresee strong dutch influence, at least 3 species of red plants, shrimp and (you got it) a 10+ betta seroroty.

I currently have a very nice male, as soon as I successfully breed him, I will once again have a nice pool of bettas to select for this tank.

What I need from you, if you care to donate your US$0.02:

Light recommendation (RGB is fine, but I am more interested in strong PAR output)

Tank recommendation (preffer something horizontal, shallow and long than columnar)

Stand recommendation (any color is fine, as long as it is black. Pictures from the location will populate this thread after walls are painted with DEEP SPACE by Benjamin Moore)

Plant options. Finally I can have some bigger plants like amazon swords and red tiger lotus. Anything else?

I pretty much got everythink else covered. Here some images to set the tone:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415431379.891547.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415431401.962255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see why not. The only downsides seem to be the extra height, giving the tank a smaller footprint. If you like the shape and stand, go for it!

ADA tanks all the way in my opinion. Especially for a centerpiece

You may want a rimless tank. ADA makes beautiful ones, probably others too but I am not familiar.
The link you posted is not a rimless tank.

For lights I would totally go with DIY LED fixtures with dimmable drivers, so you can have exactly what you want. I don't think I will ever buy any other type of lighting now that I have tried this. I love rapidled.com for their solderless LEDs, but there are many others.

With high light I guess you will have CO2? Have you started looking at it? It is worth investing in a good quality regulator right from the start. There are people on the plantedtank forum who can assemble and sell them to you, you will have much better quality and much lower price than what you could buy in online stores.

And if you have access to connect your tank to your house's plumbing, automate the whole thing! This will be the best decision you ever make.

I have a CO2 system ready to go, and yes, I will upgrade the lights. I will actually upgrade everything.

Right now I just need a reliable combo: Tank and Stand.

I have several rinless tanks (ADA, Truaqua and Mr. Aqua). I guess it really becomes minimal differences when you have a large tank with good lighting.

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this is a rental, no plumbing until December 2017, when I plan on buying a house.

Got the tank. 349 down to 199.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415816936.059998.jpg

I will need help with filtration options,
lighting and heating wattage.

Sat+ x 2 (one on each side)? The tank is 24" deep...

So... lights? Substrate? Hardscape? Filter, heater?? Stand? Flora?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got the stand as part of the package for that price. I will work on some aquascape concepts, but I dont foresee lots of stuff but plants.
Some inspirational shots:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415823767.786924.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415823802.780243.jpg

If anybody can link options for filtration system, heating, etc, this might end up as a good reference thread for the future.

Get a Eheim 2217 filter, and Hydor inline heater so it doesn't sit in the tank.

Man.. that ADA tank you posted as inspirational shots got me excited you were going to get a 120p or something... LOL but it is very spendy and the tank you decided on was a decent compromise, IMO.

24" is pretty tall and I don't think you'll achieve that sort of deep colors out of those stems with dual Sat+'s... You need more intense lighting high on 660nm red spectrum.

It's go with dual E-Series, BML Dutch lights, or wait for Finnex's upcoming RGB LED lineup. I believe there's a high PAR one coming. BML's XB version with its higher output might be something to explore. Their website will help make suggestions based on what you input, specs-wise.

Current also has a Sat+ "Pro" in the works, but I've been out of the loop I'm not quite sure about the specs and power.

Otherwise, quad T5HO's would work.

Last edited:
I am currently reading about T5s. I finaly managed to place myself in a position that budget is not really an issue, so I am looking for the best 24" source of light that I can have (x2 for each side of the tank)

I even thought abour 2 Ecoxotic for each side of the tank. However, I am not in a hurry, so I might wait to what is coming out.

I do need help with a CO2 reactor recommendation.

Thank you for all your help Brian on previous tanks. That really helped me to get here.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415843051.950130.jpg

2 rolls os 10 LEDs (1/inch) would be a good plan?

How is the tank on top? You'd have to get two 24" fixtures on both sides? Why not two long 48" fixtures? Wouldn't this be cheaper?

I was planning on using the hoods the tank came with to avoid evaporation. The temperature inside the house here in Boston reach low 60's during the winter.
If I remove the hoods, the tank looks like this:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415846791.128592.jpg

Do they make a glass versa top for that tank? Anyways, according to the BML site, 1x Dutch XB light with a 90° beam angle will get you high light. You can contact them and give them the exact dimensions and see what they say. I plugged in the 55g as it's the closet in dimensions to your tank. Then you can get a controller or manual dimmer. If you want more versatility, I'd pay a little extra and get the black version. Then buy a Current Sat+ and stagger the units so the Sat+ will come on earlier and turn off later to give you extra functions, gentle sunrise/sunset, moonlight, etc. Just another option. Might end up a little cheaper while giving you PAR and ability to adjust light intensity throughout the day and night.

Last edited:
I have the heartland series, so by the numbers yes, but by the model, no.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, got these from Amazon and according to the reviews and some customer's measurements, this is a perfect fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Manu...eywords=peefecto+glass+canopy#customerReviews

Dos the lack of a real hood increase the amount of "bleeding" light? I would prefer if the light could come out only through the glass after hitting the water, not before:

Good:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415850487.565594.jpg

Not as good:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415850509.211970.jpg

Impossible (this is in the middle of our dinning room as a focal point across the living room. If light bleeds, it compromises all other possible activities in the rooms (my wife is a full time student, just as an example):
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415850651.567704.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom