20g Fresh water fishless cycle log -- need advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaaura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my log
Date Nitrate,Nitrite,Hardness,Chlorine,Alkalinity, Ph, Ammonia
Day 1. 0, 0.5, 300, 0. <300, 8.4 didn't add
Day 4. 0, 1, ,300, 0, <300, 8.4, > 4ppm
day. 6. 6, 3, ,300, 0, ,300, 8.4, 3 ppm
Day 8. 12, 10, 300, 0, 300, 8.4, 5 ppm

I don't plan to do pwc, i will keep checking for ammonia and nitrites. Add ammonia and do pwc only if nitrites drop to 0,
Am I on right track

I have been adding topfin tropical flackes very little some days.

I am planning a vacation for a week, my question was what should I do before I leave to ensure my cycle does not stall or prevent bacteria starvation ???

Help please

Note today is day 8, my ammonia had dropped to zero, hence. Added 5 ppm after ammonia test

You can add some raw uncooked fish, shrimps or prawns in the tank afew of days before going this will allow them to start creating ammonia before leaving, I would also do a large water change just before adding the shrimp When you get back you may find it alittle smelly. You can place the shrimp or fish in a clean sock or form of netted material to make for easy removal when you return.

Or just as easily, you could add the shrimp a day before leaving, preform a large water change on the day you leave and also dose ammonia on the last day. Again, this will feed the bacteria while the shrimp has time to decompose.

Just a side note, Adding flakes aswell as dosing qith ammonia will only create unwanted waste build up inside the tank. Oh and have a good vaca!

Last edited:
You can add flakes into a nylon and tie it up before placing it in the tank. You will still have an ammonia source but no smell. Also add ammonia right before you leave.

Am I at the end of cycle ?
Ph 8.4
Ammonia is going from 4 ppm to zero in 12 hrs.
Nitrites went down from 10 to 3 in 12 hrs
Nitrates went up from 25 to 40 in 12 hrs

I am planning to add another 4 ppm ammonia before I sleep tonight.

Am I at the end of cycle ?

According to those results, I would say your almost, or completely done! If you dose with ammonia, and it goes straight to 0, your almost done!

You can add some raw uncooked fish, shrimps or prawns in the tank afew of days before going this will allow them to start creating ammonia before leaving, I would also do a large water change just before adding the shrimp When you get back you may find it alittle smelly. You can place the shrimp or fish in a clean sock or form of netted material to make for easy removal when you return.

Or just as easily, you could add the shrimp a day before leaving, preform a large water change on the day you leave and also dose ammonia on the last day. Again, this will feed the bacteria while the shrimp has time to decompose.

Just a side note, Adding flakes aswell as dosing qith ammonia will only create unwanted waste build up inside the tank. Oh and have a good vaca!

Agreed!

Thanks. Time to do 90% wc. Keeping adding 1ppm ammonia until I get my fish and ensure Nitrates are less than 40ppm. Is that right ?

Well almost. Don't do a water change until you are ready to get the fish and then for a planted you can have up to 20ppm nitrate or with a fish only 10ppm.

This morning I decided to end my fishless cycle. Before huge wc, I did a test

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 4
Nitrates were at 70

Since nitrites have been hanging in range 3-5 ppm, I decided to end the cycle.
Did 90% wc then did another test
Nitrites 1 ppm
Nitrates less than 10

Since nitrites were at 1ppm, again took my bucket out and did 70% wc. Will wait and check if nitrites dropped to 0.

Assuming nitrites went down to 0,

Planning to add 6-7 total fish of small size between 1 inch to 2 inch in size.
I have to visit lfs to pick my stock.

Can I now add the fish stock ?

Honestly with nitrites at 4 and now 1 you are still cycling. If you add fish your going to have to finish with a fish in cycle meaning you need to test water daily to be sure ammonia and nitrite levels never rise above .25ppm. Just be sure before you add the first fish that your ammonia and nitrites are .25ppm or lower.

Why did you choose to end your cycle? The nitrite conversion is the longest part. Alittle patience is all a fishless cycle takes. I would add more ammonia and continue.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since the nitrites were always staying at 3 over last few days and nitrates were rising, so I decided to end the cycle.

I will keep watch on ammonia and nitrites closely to ensure things are in controll.

"end the cycle" is really not the phrase you are looking for.

"Moving from fishless to fish-in" is more accurate.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but you can't just "decide" to stop cycling. You can change how you are approaching it (although not sure why you would when you are so close), but it doesn't stop the science from happening in your tank.

As others have said, you will now have to stay on top of your parameters very very carefully, and add fish only a couple at a time. Nitrite in particular is incredibly dangerous.

Agreed. I will watch for nitrites every 24 hours, will do 40% wc.
Shoot I feel bad I ended the cycle. Apologies! I should have waited another week.

Back
Top Bottom