20g planted a week ago - need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amortiogar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Brand new to tanks here, so I apologize in advance if I'm doing everything wrong.

I tried to read up first, but I'm more of a "learn as you go" type person. I got the tank in a starter kit, so the only lights and filter I have are the ones that came in the package. I have no fish in it because it's cycling. Here's how it looked when I finished planting:

image-3055100302.jpg

The log I got at my lfs from an established tank to start the tank cycling, but I had 1 hitchhiker snail, and now I have 20 little ones. Here's how it looks now:

image-2080888830.jpg

I put root tabs in a few days ago, but they don't seem to be doing anything. It looks like my plants are decaying and there is some weird stuff growing from them.

image-4147019466.jpg

image-4001619020.jpg

Is it algea? Fungus? I don't know, but it looks bad. What can I do? Also, how I get rid of the snail problem?

It looks like mold/fungus on the plants which is usually harmless just unsightly. I would remove the plants and give them a 20 minute soak in a 1 part hydrogen peroxide 3% to 4 parts water then replant. Stock lighting that comes with a tank is very low light and the stem plants probably won't flourish as they need higher light. You need to stick with plants such as Anubia, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, and Crypts. Crypts need root tabs as do swords but the other plants I've listed plus the ones you have except the Sword plant need fertilizer in the water column. You need to pick up Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone for added potassium and iron. The grassy plant in the front needs high light, CO2, and a good fert regime so it will probably not make it. You could try Four Leaf Clover, Micro Chain Sword, or maybe even Dwarf Sag instead. Your limited to the type plants you can use due to the low light. Also using a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel daily can help plants with photosynthesis and growth.

It looks like mold/fungus on the plants which is usually harmless just unsightly. I would remove the plants and give them a 20 minute soak in a 1 part hydrogen peroxide 3% to 4 parts water then replant. Stock lighting that comes with a tank is very low light and the stem plants probably won't flourish as they need higher light. You need to stick with plants such as Anubia, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, and Crypts. Crypts need root tabs as do swords but the other plants I've listed plus the ones you have except the Sword plant need fertilizer in the water column. You need to pick up Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone for added potassium and iron. The grassy plant in the front needs high light, CO2, and a good fert regime so it will probably not make it. You could try Four Leaf Clover, Micro Chain Sword, or maybe even Dwarf Sag instead. Your limited to the type plants you can use due to the low light. Also using a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel daily can help plants with photosynthesis and growth.

Thank you so much for the information! I'll definitely look at those plants. Unfortunately I can't really get more lights until the next few paychecks, but when that happens, what type of lights/fixtures should I be looking for?

I would either go with a 2 bulb T5HO fixture to get a good solid medium light or look at LED's. I use Build My Led fixtures and really like them. They are going to be more expensive up front than a T5HO but with having to replace the T5HO bulbs every 9 months or so will add up over time. The BML fixture has a dimmer you can buy which makes it nice for morning or evening viewing.

If and when you upgrade lights you will also need to start using a liquid carbon, such as Excel (or the generic I use Metricide 14 day solution) or CO2, along with a good dry fert dosing regime. If you don't want to do all the extra's then stick with the low light and low light tolerant plants. It's a choice of how much time you want to put into it and how much money.

If you had a finnex fugeray on that tank, it would give you low-medium light. Not enough to grow some of those plants, but enough to grow things like anubias, micro chain sword, java fern, and the ones Rivercats listed. Do you have a particular budget for this tank and if so what else do you need besides stuff you will need for plants? Have you bought a filter, test kit, fish food, heater, etc.?

And welcome to AA!

If you had a finnex fugeray on that tank, it would give you low-medium light. Not enough to grow some of those plants, but enough to grow things like anubias, micro chain sword, java fern, and the ones Rivercats listed. Do you have a particular budget for this tank and if so what else do you need besides stuff you will need for plants? Have you bought a filter, test kit, fish food, heater, etc.?

And welcome to AA!

Thanks for the welcome and information! My budget depends on my paycheck haha, but I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, and DIY if I can. The tank kit came with a filter that goes on the side, but I've been reading up more on different filters (the ones that look like buckets, not sure what they're called). I get my water tested at PetCo, and I have food, heater, and thermometer.

I would either go with a 2 bulb T5HO fixture to get a good solid medium light or look at LED's. I use Build My Led fixtures and really like them. They are going to be more expensive up front than a T5HO but with having to replace the T5HO bulbs every 9 months or so will add up over time. The BML fixture has a dimmer you can buy which makes it nice for morning or evening viewing.

If and when you upgrade lights you will also need to start using a liquid carbon, such as Excel (or the generic I use Metricide 14 day solution) or CO2, along with a good dry fert dosing regime. If you don't want to do all the extra's then stick with the low light and low light tolerant plants. It's a choice of how much time you want to put into it and how much money.

Ok cool, thanks again for the info. I think I'll stick with the low lights for now, and upgrade after I do some more research. Seems a bit complicated.

Thanks for the welcome and information! My budget depends on my paycheck haha, but I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, and DIY if I can. The tank kit came with a filter that goes on the side, but I've been reading up more on different filters (the ones that look like buckets, not sure what they're called). I get my water tested at PetCo, and I have food, heater, and thermometer.

Ok, do you know what the brand and name of the filter is? You should really get the API freshwater master test kit. It is cheap and lasts a long time. Just don't get it at the chain stores, get it on ebay or amazon for about $20 with free shipping.

Ok, do you know what the brand and name of the filter is? You should really get the API freshwater master test kit. It is cheap and lasts a long time. Just don't get it at the chain stores, get it on ebay or amazon for about $20 with free shipping.

The filter that came with the tank is the Topfin 20.

Back
Top Bottom