20g planted cube build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure! I am assuming since you had a tank before that you know a little about how cycling in a tank works. Basically a newly set up tank needs to grow bacteria which converts ammonia (fish waste). The bacteria converts ammonia to nitrIte and then the nitrIte into nitrAte. When your tank consistantly reads 0ppm ammonia and nitrite even with a steady ammonia source, then the tank is considered fully cycled. When fishless cycling, try to keep your ammonia level between to 3-5ppm.

Another good link to read: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Ok I've put some fish food in on Monday and today the results are as follows
Ammonia 0.1-0.2
Nitrite 0-0.1
Nitrate 10-20
Not too sure what this means tbh!
I don't think the test kit I have is that accurate it's a big Hagen test kit I bought when I had my salt water tank.
Advice would be appreciated! Cheers

many hobbiest recommend the API master kit..they are the most accurate test kit so far...

i am not an expert when it comes to testing...but so far it seems like you are almost done cycling...how long have you been cycling this tank?

EDIT: Just saw your comment about the tank cycling about 2 weeks...

I would say some of your bacteria survived! It does indeed look as if you have an almost cycled tank, assuming the test kit is working ok. The kits do expire (they won't be accurate forever). If it is more than a couple years old, I would recommend picking up a new one. Daileene made a good rec... the API Freshwater master kit is a great kit.

ok i bought some fish today i got 8 neon tetras 3 super blue emperor tetrs and 3 orange shrimps. and also adde a couple of new plants the other day.

Attachments

• DSCF2039.jpg
    DSCF2039.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF2043.jpg
    DSCF2043.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF2048.jpg
    DSCF2048.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 117
Looking very good! Neons are great with black substrate and a planted tank...

Welcome to AA!

Can the mods move this to its own thread?

I have play sand ($5 for 50lb), pool filter sand ($5 for 50lb), and Black Blast blasting compound ($8 for 50lb) in my planted tank. I'm not sure where the advice to change the substrate yearly comes from, but I think it's wrong. For a serious planted tank you'll need to add fertilizer because sand really doesn't hold any nutrients, but for just a few live plants, your fish will provide the fertilizer.

That's mainly for plant specific substrates, flourite and such breaks down and others lose potency over time.

Ok so what would happen to my plants if I introduced co2. ( considering my lighting & sachem flourish I use)?

I think with your current setup, not much... you may see some reduced algae growth, and you may see some faster growth with your plants. You don't have much in the tank that extremely demanding, so while adding CO2 wouldn't hurt, I don't think you would see a huge difference by adding it.

Oh ok well it's just that I was looking at increasing the light maybe but there's not really a light fitting that goes with my tank! And besides I already have all the stuff I need to use co2 all I need is a defuser and a refill on the canister witch is like £20 at my lfs.

Holy cow, that is expensive for a CO2 refill! Check at your local welding supply store. It would probably be at least half that price, if not more.

I am sure you can find a lighting solution for your tank... have you considered or do you have the skills to build one? If so, the sky is the limit. LED builds are great for odd sized/shaped tanks like your cube.

Really? Its about that everywhere. Its fine but is it hard to build your own light and is it expensive?

A refill for a 5lb CO2 tank over here is about $20.

Building an LED fixture isn't very hard if you've got some basic electronic skills. I built a 30W LED fixture for my 20H for less than $100.

£20 is like $30. I paid $12 the last time I refilled. Maybe I just have a cheap welding supply company...

Back
Top Bottom