20g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20g long tank that I am planting. I currently have 5 glowlight tetras and two bolivian rams. The rams are male and female (I think). I have an Aqueon T5NO dual fixture that I am returning today. I am getting a fishneedit T5HO dual fixture instead. I have a val plant in there right now. I also have two large pieces of driftwood that are currently in the process of soaking. I will order the new light today, and update frequently.

I think my driftwood is almost done soaking. I will try to get some pictures.

The driftwood is not done yet, so I put it in the dishwasher. Hopefully all the tannins are removed when it's done. My light fixture arrives tomorrow... I can't wait! :)

Just boil the driftwood afterwards anyway just incase any soap residue was in the dish washer.
I have a 20g long planted tank too if you'd like to see. My vals grow like crazy being so close to the light, be prepared to be trimming often. The one val is over 2 feet long lol the tank is what, 12" high?

Just boil the driftwood afterwards anyway just incase any soap residue was in the dish washer.
I have a 20g long planted tank too if you'd like to see. My vals grow like crazy being so close to the light, be prepared to be trimming often. The one val is over 2 feet long lol the tank is what, 12" high?

I can't boil the DW... my mom won't let me. LOL
Yeah, 20g longs are 30x12x13... I only have one val right now... I hope it grows well.

Fill up the sink with hot water even, since you already washed it, it's just to rinse it off

Koikid88 said:
Fill up the sink with hot water even, since you already washed it, it's just to rinse it off

I will... But it's not done washing yet... Lol

My mom texted me today and said there are eggs in the tank. The rams are the only ones who could've laid them. I am not at the house so I can't check. I am really excited though! :)

How exciting! Even if the eggs are not good, hopefully the next batch will be. :)
BTW, I like that dw. Its a very nice looking piece. You can also lay a small piece of slate against the dw if you want because then the rams might spawn on it (since they tend to like smooth surfaces) and then it would be easy for you to remove the eggs and raise them artificially if you choose. Just a thought. :)

jetajockey said:
Those eggs don't look viable but a clearer up close pic would help. If they are amber they are good, white = bad. Congrats on the spawn though, hopefully it works out.

I can't get a better picture until tomorrow afternoon.

absolutangel04 said:
How exciting! Even if the eggs are not good, hopefully the next batch will be. :)
BTW, I like that dw. Its a very nice looking piece. You can also lay a small piece of slate against the dw if you want because then the rams might spawn on it (since they tend to like smooth surfaces) and then it would be easy for you to remove the eggs and raise them artificially if you choose. Just a thought. :)

Thanks... Why would I raise them artificially? Are the any benefits or drawbacks to it?

Most of the YouTube videos of ram eggs and breeding that I have seen showed white eggs, and apparently they were fine... That makes me wonder...

Parents often eat eggs. Also, once the fry are free swimming, everything else in the tank will demolish them. IME, its also a bit less stressful for the tank if you just take the eggs out. Since parents will get a bit territorial and then sometimes take it out on the rest of the community, it helps to just remove the eggs so the aggression subsides. Not that rams are likely to be too aggressive, but still. If the rams were the only thing in the tank, then I would advise you to just leave the eggs in unless the parents eat them. But since you said it would be a community, then I would just remove them or else the community will just eat the fry.

I got home today and the eggs disappeared. I think the parents realized that the eggs were dead and either ate them or stopped guarding them and let the tetras eat them.

Back
Top Bottom