20g Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd be careful about putting a mating pair of Cichlids with corys in a tank of that size. The corys could get hurt. You could do one Bolivian ram (they are similar to GBRs but without the red eyes) and they tend to be easier to keep than the German Blues; they can tolerate lower temps too (mid-high 70s); most other rams need temps in the lower 80s which some other fish may not like.

I'd be careful about putting a mating pair of Cichlids with corys in a tank of that size. The corys could get hurt. You could do one Bolivian ram (they are similar to GBRs but without the red eyes) and they tend to be easier to keep than the German Blues; they can tolerate lower temps too (mid-high 70s); most other rams need temps in the lower 80s which some other fish may not like.

Everywhere I'm reading say a BR needs 30g min...Would 1 do fine in a 20g?

No, it would be the same with a pair of bolivians. You could do one.

Be careful with the gouramis too; they can be tricky. If you get two males they'll likely fight. A male/female pair might work but he might harass her too much. I haven't had them myself but this is just from what I've read.

No, it would be the same with a pair of bolivians. You could do one.

Be careful with the gouramis too; they can be tricky. If you get two males they'll likely fight. A male/female pair might work but he might harass her too much. I haven't had them myself but this is just from what I've read.

I'm only getting 1 Gourami. The only fish I'll be getting multiples of are the Tetras, Guppy, and Panda Cory.

New stock:

6 x Cardinal Tetras
4 x Panda Cory's
3 x Red Fire Guppies (1 male, 2 female)
1 x Bolivian Ram
1 x Flame Dwarf Gourami

Does that sound good? Which species should be the first to go in?

I only have a female dg n she's eaten 2 blk skirt tetra n she killed my male dg n her n my angel seem to b partners in crime. Just be careful with dgs

Apisto's are no different than Rams, both are cichlids and both are considered semi-aggressive. Personally I'd only do one of either and then they are normally pretty laid back as singles.

When looking at a tank and stock look at the size of the fish and the area of the tank they occupy. Cardinals don't get overly large, neons even smaller, and they both have low bio-loads, and occupy usually the middle area of the tank. Corys are mostly bottom dwellers and Pandas are smaller and a good choice for a tank that size. The DG will love in the middle to top of the tank and maxes out at about 2" or so. Guppies are mostly top swimmers, which due to the tank size I'd still only get males. You can use that site as a guide but it's not totally accurate on alot of things.

Also with DG's, each one has a different personality so some are mellow and some more aggressive. That is the same issue you have with cichlids. You aren't going to know until they are in the tank for awhile. Honey Gourami's are small like DG's but overall tend to be alittle more on the mellow side.

This tank stock sounds gorgeous!

The honey gourami come in yellow or sunset, which has some red.

The ram will have shades of both, so I think either would look cool!

So I think I've pretty much nailed it down to this.

6 x Cardinal Tetras
4 x Panda Cory's
3 x Red Fire Guppies (1 male, 2 female
1 x Bolivian Ram
1 x Flame Dwarf Gourami

Should I start out with schools first or the solitary fish first? I know the schools would have the hardest impact on the BB from the start.

6 x Cardinal Tetras
4 x Panda Cory's
1 x Bolivian Ram
1 x Flame Dwarf Gourami

Should I start out with schools first or the solitary fish first? I know the schools would have the hardest impact on the BB from the start.

After cycle

1st Cory
2nd guppies

After 1month

Gourami and tetras at same time

After 1 more week

1 ram

6 x Cardinal Tetras
4 x Panda Cory's
1 x Bolivian Ram
1 x Flame Dwarf Gourami

I would as 3-4 OTO's

Actually you want to add the guppy's, watch your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to see when BB has built up to the bio-load, then add the tetras, do the same process, lastly add the DG. You will want to wait 4-6 months for the tank to mature as German Blue Rams don't do well in new set-ups. If you went with a Bolivian Ram, which is a much hardier fish just not as colorful, you could add it much sooner. Oto's also don't do well in a new set up and you don't need any extra fish.

Actually you want to add the guppy's, watch your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to see when BB has built up to the bio-load, then add the tetras, do the same process, lastly add the DG. You will want to wait 4-6 months for the tank to mature as German Blue Rams don't do well in new set-ups. If you went with a Bolivian Ram, which is a much hardier fish just not as colorful, you could add it much sooner. Oto's also don't do well in a new set up and you don't need any extra fish.

+1 :) I agree! You wait based on the toxins/bb.

I did decide to go with a BR instead of GBR.

So:

1st Guppy
2nd Tetras
3rd Pandas
4th BR
5th DG

I just wasn't sure if I should have added the Tetra or the Guppy first. Either way it's going to be a month plus before any fish go into it at all.

My mistake. I was abbreviating Bolivian Ram as BR.

Either way. I'm putting in 1 Bolivian Ram, not a Blue Ram.

Are you doing a fishless cycle with ammonia? If so there's no need to wait to add fish; you can add all of them as soon as the cycle ends, which is one of the benefits of fishless cycling. Once the cycle is done your biofilter will be as strong as it will ever be and if you wait too long between adding fish the bacteria adjusts down to the fish level in the tank so you'll lose some bacteria. I'd add them all at once within a week or so.

Are you doing a fishless cycle with ammonia? If so there's no need to wait to add fish; you can add all of them as soon as the cycle ends, which is one of the benefits of fishless cycling. Once the cycle is done your biofilter will be as strong as it will ever be and if you wait too long between adding fish the bacteria adjusts down to the fish level in the tank so you'll lose some bacteria. I'd add them all at once within a week or so.

Yes, I am doing a fishless cycle with ammonia. That is good to know. Thanks!

I would still split the fish up at least into 2 groups. Adding so many new fish at once can cause alot of stress and chaos with fish scrambling around in a newl tank. Also if you add all your fish at once and even one is sick it can wipe out a good part of all the new stock that is also stressed. There's a fine line from wanting to utilize the BB at full strength which is understandable to adding all your fish at once hoping for the best. By adding fish slower, giving time between additions you may lose some BB but while your watching new fish for any problems that BB can build back up. I personally still prefer adding fish slowly than adding an entire tanks stocking level all at once. It's a personal choice you'll have to make.

Back
Top Bottom