20g Tank Redo Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm completely redoing my 20g long tank and want your help, comments and suggestions.
I have an established filter off my 29g and will move it over to my 20g so I can do everything immediately.
I have plans to re-home several fish and keep just a couple.

I definitely want to add a German Blue Ram. I've been waiting for a Ram for the entire year I've had tanks so everything will be stable and established enough to be able to keep one healthy.
I also want to keep my male Black Molly, my Leopard Tail Female Guppy, and Mystery Snail.

What I have so far:

20g long:

-- 1 Male Black Molly
-- 1 Female Guppy
-- 1 Mystery Snail
-- 1 (or 2) German Blue Ram

Questions... :) Would I be able to have two GBR? I know they can get aggressive and territorial during mating... So don't want damage to my two remaining fish. Is it even possible? What do you think? If not, then I'm okay with one Ram. Also, could I add a few more guppies? Could I add a Bristlenose Pleco? I want the best possible conditions and in no way want to overstock the tank. I learned my lesson early on in my Aquarium hobby!
I also want to switch to small Black Gravel...
I have a standard T5 light and hood...
I have plastic and a few silk plants... I'd like to switch to all silk... I'm not ready for live plants right now... (I have a couple litters of bottle baby kittens at various ages so no extra time for plants right now)

Suggestions please! Also, this is sufficient fish for the tank, right? I don't need more fish, just basic and pretty.

Thank you!

ocminpin said:
I'm completely redoing my 20g long tank and want your help, comments and suggestions.
I have an established filter off my 29g and will move it over to my 20g so I can do everything immediately.
I have plans to re-home several fish and keep just a couple.

I definitely want to add a German Blue Ram. I've been waiting for a Ram for the entire year I've had tanks so everything will be stable and established enough to be able to keep one healthy.
I also want to keep my male Black Molly, my Leopard Tail Female Guppy, and Mystery Snail.

What I have so far:

20g long:

-- 1 Male Black Molly
-- 1 Female Guppy
-- 1 Mystery Snail
-- 1 (or 2) German Blue Ram

Questions... :) Would I be able to have two GBR? I know they can get aggressive and territorial during mating... So don't want damage to my two remaining fish. Is it even possible? What do you think? If not, then I'm okay with one Ram. Also, could I add a few more guppies? Could I add a Bristlenose Pleco? I want the best possible conditions and in no way want to overstock the tank. I learned my lesson early on in my Aquarium hobby!
I also want to switch to small Black Gravel...
I have a standard T5 light and hood...
I have plastic and a few silk plants... I'd like to switch to all silk... I'm not ready for live plants right now... (I have a couple litters of bottle baby kittens at various ages so no extra time for plants right now)

Suggestions please! Also, this is sufficient fish for the tank, right? I don't need more fish, just basic and pretty.

Thank you!

I think you could have 2 GBR!

get 2 small GBR if they grow up with the fish they usualy will be fine. Iv done this too a few fish just make sure theirs enough places for them to hide

lamby said:
get 2 small GBR if they grow up with the fish they usualy will be fine. Iv done this too a few fish just make sure theirs enough places for them to hide

Ones I've seen in the stores are 2" or so...

What kind of options do I have in a 20g L for aquascaping ... I'm willing to start from scratch with the completely cycled filter, and black gavel... Keeping silk plants...
I particularly like the look of cichlid stones... Possibly arranged in a creative way making cave like areas...? If by accident I get a male and a female would they bother the other fish during spawning? 20g long isn't that much of a space... Maybe cut out the guppies and keep the black molly? What's the thoughts on this? Tank based around GBR...

Thank you for the advise on the Rams :) I'm happy I can get two...
I'm deducting guppies from stocking list... Guppy disappeared... Probably eaten by others in tank cause no hiding places for body... :-(

So, it looks to be

-- 2 Rams
-- 1 Black Molly
Is it fine at that? Very simple and to the point..

My rams have never hurt anyone when I had them in our 20...and they did spawn when they were in there. I'm sure you will be fine...:)

If you're gonna do some rams I'd advise maybe a school of tetras to act as dither fish so the rams feel less nervous and timid. I have a ram in my 20g that I house with rummy nose, neons, a honey gourami and some RCS and everyone in there do great together (except for the occasional RCS snack).

Back
Top Bottom